Whats in a Name? Brewing vs Brewery?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muttieb

Reaction score
So I'm having a little issue when it comes to my name and logo for my homebrews. What is the difference between Brewing and Brewery? This might seem unimportant but wanted to see what everyone else thought! I've seen people use both so was wondering if its just sounds better or what? Looking forward to hearing thoughts! :mug:

SO:
Coal Room Brewery
OR
Coal Room Brewing

I think it's just the context of the word. Brewing is the physical act. A brewery is where it takes place. Unless you wanted to call it a brewing company but then the that implies you're a little bigger than 5 gallon batches.

I'd go with Coal Room Brewery

I get the basic difference between the 2 but why do I see both on peoples logos?

He understands the difference between the words grammatically, I'm sure, but wants to know why some breweries call themselves "Brewing Company" (ie Russian River Brewing Company) instead of Brewery.

I'd be curious to know as well if there's anything to the distinction.

If you name yourself after your location, you're borrowing it's "strength" and implications.
I live in York, PA. A city with a long history, and many other successful companies and industry. From the Continental Congress, to industrial plants like Harley Davidson.
If I took a name like "York Brewery", I'm trying to ally myself with that name, to use it to make myself look stronger. Selecting other, smaller names is sometimes done for the purpose of humor or uniqueness.

However, in my view, you can also be self limiting in that naming convention. After all, if you're relying on the location's name recognition, you have an upper limit.
If you refer to it as Brewing (which is really just short for Brewing Company), you're probably selecting a name that has more personal meaning, which means a lot of others don't recognize it, unless you make it important. So it's initially a weaker name, but the sky is the limit.

Obviously, you could still use a location with "Brewing Co", but I think you get my point, for whatever THAT is worth :D

Cadence can also be a factor; the ease in which words flow from one to another and how many syllables it has can make it easier and more pleasant to say (and hear).

I like Coal Room Brewing. It implies to me that it is an ongoing process and adds a human element to it as opposed to Coal Room Brewery, which sounds like just a building. There is no problem with the latter, but if you have put the time and energy into researching which is better, I think you would prefer Coal Room Brewing. This is based solely on my judgement when hearing the two names, and is based on no fact whatsoever, nor do I know anything about the history of the names.

This is grade school grammar.

Brewing is a verb
Brewery is a noun

Ok If that is the question, technically the words should be used like this.

The Island Time Brewery is offering a brewing named IIPA.

So the Brewery still is a physical location makes the beer but the offering is what was brewed.

Any other use might be wrong, hope that answers the question.

Hey everyone thanks for all the advice and as I guessed theres a lot of opinions!
He understands the difference between the words grammatically, I'm sure, but wants to know why some breweries call themselves "Brewing Company" (ie Russian River Brewing Company) instead of Brewery.

I'd be curious to know as well if there's anything to the distinction.
+1 thats pretty much what I was trying to ask!

I like Coal Room Brewing. It implies to me that it is an ongoing process and adds a human element to it as opposed to Coal Room Brewery, which sounds like just a building. There is no problem with the latter, but if you have put the time and energy into researching which is better, I think you would prefer Coal Room Brewing. This is based solely on my judgement when hearing the two names, and is based on no fact whatsoever, nor do I know anything about the history of the names.

Thanks and I think I agree with your logic and that's what I have been leaning towards. Coal Room Brewing just has a better ring to me. :mug:

I'll add a third minor variation to the mix. I'm going with Newport Brews as the former is my suname and it works on several levels: city name pun, noun, and verb. First batch just went to bottle so that's about all I have at the moment!

Brewing is generally accepted to be short for Brewing Company.

Like Thirsty Dog Brewing is short for Thirsty Dog Brewing Company.

Brewery is meant to imply where the beer comes from. So on a label it might say Thirsty Dog Brewery, meaning Made by the Thirsty Dog Brewery (The place where Thirsty Dog Brewing Company makes their beer...

I'll add a third minor variation to the mix. I'm going with Newport Brews as the former is my suname and it works on several levels: city name pun, noun, and verb. First batch just went to bottle so that's about all I have at the moment!

I like it. It sounds pleasant, rolls off the tongue, and also kind of reminds me a sports team name for some reason.

Cadence can also be a factor; the ease in which words flow from one to another and how many syllables it has can make it easier and more pleasant to say (and hear).

And how memorable it is, or any other factor which helps in "sellability". It's really all about marketing, be it commercially, or even just amongst your friends.

Latest posts

Back