How fast do you brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malichaidog

Reaction score
I've done a couple ag batches now in my gravity keggle setup, and with setup brewing and cleanup it takes me about 7-8 hours total. Am I super slow? Or is thus about average? Not that I'm in a rush I relax and enjoy myself, but I'm just curious.

I am AG with a cooler mash tun and IC. I heat my water on the stove and boil on propane. I usually take 4.5 hrs from when I start heating water to cleanup.

I average 4.5-5 hours from the start of cleaning equipment to sitting on the couch with my feet up. What helps the most is to clean as I go during the gaps with mashing and boiling.

I'm AG, igloo MLT, 1 propane burner, batch sparge and I go about 6-7 hours from stepping foot in the garage to cleaned up and everything put back.

If I'm having an "on" day then from weighing grain to cleaning the last item takes me 3.5 hours. I have an all grain setup but nothing fancy. I have a turkey fryer propane burner and all of my starting water is heated to 150 with the hot water heater. Having the water started at 150 saves a bunch of time.

It takes as long as it takes. I definitely don't try to rush it. I try to make it a relaxing thing and not a 'job' per se. I think I'm right around 5-6 hours for a 10 gallon batch.

You'll keep getting faster as you go. I've found that doing prep work the night before really helps shave time off and makes brew day less hectic. I get my grain crushed, fermenters sanitized, and all my water measured out and ready to go so that when I wake up all I have to do is flame on and get to it.

It always seems to take me 5 hrs even. This includes the moment I start getting the equipment out of the basement, to the time where I put everything back after cleaning. I 5 gallon batch-sparge.

When I first started AG, I sparged too much and had to boil off volume before the 60-min boil. Back then, it took more like 6 to 7 hrs.

Oh, and I've done one decoction, it was on the Eve before Christmas Eve. I started at 10 AM and finished about 6 PM. My doppelbock has been lagering for a few months now...not sure how much longer I can wait for it!

10gal in 6 hours for me is usual but if i want to be really quick i can do it in 5h (prepare grains and water in hlt a day before and dont whirlpool, i also use CFC so its cooling on the way to carboy, its little faster than IC)

It takes me about five hours. I've only done two AG batches, so I should get faster, especially with measuring out volumes of water. I'll get my strike water heating before I start dragging everything else up from the basement. I use the water from my immersion chiller for cleaning. I think what I'll do next time is put some oxyclean in my mash tun so it can start soaking as it fills from the IC.

For a 60 minute mash and a 90 minute boil, I take 4-5 hours. Just got a banjo burner which should reduce that a bit because i can hit a boil in 10-15 minutes instead of an hour.

You people and your fast brewing times!! =P lol, nah it takes me 10hrs total from getting everything set up to final clean up. I do stove top mashing in my brewing kettle (i do a lot of single or double decoctions), transfer to a LT, and fly sparge into my kettle. use a bayou classic and use my bathtub to cool my wort into. as i'm cooling my wort i clean up my LT and anything else. once my wort is cool i pitch my yeast into a carboy and call it a day! :D

I will get my stuff ready the night before a brew day now and it goes much smoother. I get all my supplies ready (kettle, mash tun, propane burner), lay out what I need (whirfloc, water salts, lactic acid) and will get my water prepared too. I measure out my mash water in the kettle and put it on the stove so first thing in the morning I can turn on my stove and get a cup of coffee. I already have my filtered sparge water in a bucket measured out so during the mash I can start heating it. The thing that adds the most time is getting my wort chilled down to mid 60's for ales when my tap water is 70-75 degrees

jbsg02 said:
I will get my stuff ready the night before a brew day now and it goes much smoother. I get all my supplies ready (kettle, mash tun, propane burner), lay out what I need (whirfloc, water salts, lactic acid) and will get my water prepared too. I measure out my mash water in the kettle and put it on the stove so first thing in the morning I can turn on my stove and get a cup of coffee. I already have my filtered sparge water in a bucket measured out so during the mash I can start heating it. The thing that adds the most time is getting my wort chilled down to mid 60's for ales when my tap water is 70-75 degrees

This, to a T

Partial Mash brewing using a 3gal. Igloo. From setup through cleanup, 6 - 7 hours on average. I like to take my time though. It really depends on the type of beer too.

I've done a couple ag batches now in my gravity keggle setup, and with setup brewing and cleanup it takes me about 7-8 hours total. Am I super slow? Or is thus about average? Not that I'm in a rush I relax and enjoy myself, but I'm just curious.

My friend is a bass fisher guy. Boat is like 30K. Truck to haul it is 40K. Leaves home on a Saturday morning at 5:00AM back Sunday night around 6:00PM. He just spent $400.00 to do what his hobby needs.

I spend 7-8 hours on a ten gallon home brew. When my friend gets home I invite him to sit on my deck and enjoy a couple. He can't because now he needs family time.

Sit back and relax. Enjoy your hobbies.

This, to a T

This is me too!

ClayHenry said:
Never quite fast enough for SWMBO...

Yup, same thing here. I really take my sweet time though. Usually 8 hours from start to finish including set up and clean up. This is with an electric 2 vessel, no sparge, 5 gallon system. Last brew day she was pissed. I kept tinkering after clean up. Next weekend I will try to speed it up while taking my time. I do use her kitchen and I have to unplug the dryer to run my system. This probably has something to do with her frustration.

yesterdays wit was a 6 hour day start to finish, on a brand new electric sytem i built. i had a buddy helpin me out too. today i did an IPA in the same setup and it was like 7-8 hours,, including the time my wort sat in the BK after i finished my sparge(had to eat dinner with the kiddos so the boil had to wait) i was alone for todays brew.
im guessing once i master my setup ill have my time down to around the 5 hour mark from firing up the controller to dragging the carboy into the basement.

5 to 7 hr still new so am a little slow i take my time and don't rush it. Have fun don't worry Have a Homebrew :mug:

It usually takes me several days! I do the main brewing and cleanup in about 5 hours. But, I am single and some clutter is normal for me so it takes a few days before everything gets put away! Then a couple of days later out it all comes again!:rockin:

I set up my HLT the night before. About 4.5 hours from lighting the HLT to cleaning BK, with 1 hour mash and boil.

BYO has an article about speeding up the brew day. Things like milling your grains while heating strike water, mashing to conversion rather than time, setting up BK during mash, and cleaning mash tun during the boil. It also said some brewhouse efficiency could be lost to gain time in other areas.

I come to HBT while I'm waiting for my next step :D

I take about 5 hours, cleaning all along the way and always try to have the brewday end in late afternoon. I don't drink anything until the yeast is pitched, so being able to crack the first beer at sunset is my goal.

sunset.jpg

Just brewed my very first AG today and start to finish took me about 5 hours. If I had my stuff together and a propane burner instead of a gas stove indoors, I could have been done in 3.5-4 hours.

living in a small apt with a POS stove is the big killer for me. takes a long time to get my wort up to a boil. My brew days have been between 5 and 6 hours. Immersion chiller knocked an hour of time off everything, if i could get my wort up to a boil in 30 minutes instead of an hour it would be nice.

usually takes me about 6 hours, but I usually do a 90 minute boil. I also weigh out my grains the night before.

I think 6 hours is 'common' and 4.5-5 hours is the realm of brewers that have mastered their system. I have to say, as much as I love beer and talking about brewing- brew day is the worst part of this hobby. I take no pleasure in watching water boil. I average around 5-6 hours. I keep improving my method with one goal in mind, "Shorter/faster."

I just bought a Rebel Mill, and retiring my crappy Corona Mill is going to easily shave 20 minutes off my day. I need to tweak my plumbing, but I also plan to use hot water- which will take another 20/30 minutes off my day- maybe even more. I need to improve my cleaning method.

I think by the end of the year I'll be in that 4.5 range and if I build a permanent nano-brewery in the basement, I would like to break the 4 hour mark.

I would be thrilled if I can put one of my beers toe to toe with of my buddies and remind him his took 8 hours and my took 4. I love brewing, but I got other things to do. :)

10g in 6 hours, Fly sparging, 60 min boil, immersion chill. 8 hours if I add another 5g batch - kind of in parallel using the same mash tun, but a different boil kettle. Water is measured out the night before, grains weighed and ground, salts weighed out.

Dave

Back