My new system (HERMS)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan_PA

Reaction score
This is my new system. Took a bit longer to totally piece together, but it has been in this state for 2 brews now. It is nearly done - I have a few things to refine, but it is serviceable.

I got the stand from another brewer here as a bare frame. I had to add the kettle centering angle iron, since he used much larger kettles. I like the spacing since it gives me scalability options.

The left tank is the HLT/HEX with 20-25 feet of 3/8 copper tubing inside. Temp sensor is on the output of the coil. On top is an automated stirrer to keep temps constant.

The mashtun is an inverted keg, with a center dump. I wrapped in reflectex insulation, then wood slats to clean up the outside. Currently there is just ratchet straps keeping the wood in place, I need to get metal banding on that - once I figure out how. Inside I have a stainless, domed, false bottom that is attached to an 18" stainless pipe. When I finish my mash, I scoop out most of the spent grain, then pull the pipe/false bottom out and just rinse the rest through the center hole at the bottom. Easier in real life than I imagined. It also has the automated stirrer (needs modification)

I only use/need 1 pump - awesome. I use the chillus convolutus after boil. Also, you can see attached to the wall the control box.

After construction, I was afraid it was going to take a while to dial in the process and recipes, but either by dumb luck or masterful design, both batches to date have hit the number spot on.

Okay, here are the issues/items to address:
  • Mash Stirrer - It does not get close enough to the false bottom. Both brews have resulted in momentary stuck mash circulation. I fix by manually stirring and dialing back the recirc flow at the pump
  • Kettles - I plan to polish both once everything else is dialed in, and I have free time (read as: it will never happen)
  • Dump Valve - I am not happy with the dump valve on my pump. It seems to give me fits, I think a simple nipple and tubing remnant may fix this.
  • Mash Tun Straps

photo (5).JPG

Looking into building a single pump "e"HERMS setup, similar to yours but obviously electric, how do you recirc the MLT while heating sparge water in the HLT?

So I do a really thin mash. Essentially, there is only one water addition for 5 gallon batches, all the water goes in either at protein rest temp or sacch rest temp. This is a key element to the process, since i do not do the calculation for the approx temp at sparging. The good thing is, the step times in my HEX coil is very impressive. SO to go from sacch to mashout/sparge it is only like 15-20 mins.

Hope that helps.

Here are shots of the inside of the mashtun, with the removable falsebottom, the underside with the sanitary fitting, and the mash mixer inverted:

photo (8).JPG

photo (7).JPG

photo (6).JPG

Nice set up I really like the inverted keg. I'm planning my 3 Keggle set up now. Where did u get that fitting on the bottom of your Keggle

I got it from brewers hardware. It is a 2.5" triclamp. You have to work with the gasket to get it to fit on the flat keg ring. Works like a charm though.

Thanks. That's a good idea but will not work for direct fires mash tuns unfortunately. But it seems like it would make cleaning very easy.

Yeah, I cannot think how that would work for direct fire. Electric yes. It would be an excellent setup for a boil kettle. Easy draining and cleaning.

Nice looking setup! I'm trying to finish plans on a rebuild of my current system and I think I'm sold on your MLT idea.

Can you tell me what is the pipe connected to the false bottom in your MLT? Looks like maybe a handle to remove the false bottom easily? What false bottom are you using?

Thanks for the info.

Thanks.

This is the false bottom I used. I had to drill out the center hole to let the stainless pipe pass through it. I leave the false bottom in place until scooping out 70-80% of the spent grain, then just pull it out by the pipe, and rinse the rest of the grain out the center hole (after removing the tri clamp fitting and drain assembly). I will try to get some better pics of how the false bottom is assembled today.

Really will post photos tonight. Brewing up a batch, so if there is anything els of interest, let me know.

Not sure I understand how the tube works on the FB....you would probably draw air into the pump if draining from the bottom valve. However, it would make a good recirculation port kind of like a Speidel Braumeister.

Back