quick campden tab question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strecker25

Reaction score
hey guys, i want to treat my next batch with campden tabs but have a quick question regarding the use. I know a single tab will do about 20 gallons, so I plan on splitting a single tablet and crushing it. The issue is, I heat the strike water first (like most do) and because I double batch sparge I heat each sparge separately. When should the tablet be added? my instinct says it should be split up and added to each container of water as it heats, but I was hoping I could add it to the strike water and the active properties of it would also work on the sparge water later as it is added to the kettle through sparging.

Yes, you'll want to add it to both the mash water and sparge water. Or, if thou have the volume to hold both at once, you can just add it to all the water. Then just heat what you need for when you need it.

Alright thanks guys, unfortunately my hlt is a 5 gallon pot, so I'm stuck adding campden to 3 different batches of water at the moment. I'll have to do my best to split it up correctly

Can you just treat your water (altogether in a big container like the MLT) the night before and let it sit? Then you don't have to mess around so much with different additions and it has plenty of time for the chloramines to dissipate.

Back