What beer did you want to really like but just didn't?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alamo_Beer

Reaction score
A spin off of the most overpriced..

What beers had you heard a lot about and wanted to really like but just didn't?

Mine would be Anchor Steam, I had 1 bottle at a pizza place and thought it was OK but just a little weird. I'm deffinatly up for giving it another try but I just didn't like it too much.

What about you?

Dead Guy Ale. I thought the artwork on the bottle was cool and I liked the name. The beer? Not so much!

I gotta go with HB on this one. For some reason I really wanted to like barley wine. Maybe the concept is cool, I don't know. What I do know is that I could not drink it... just ain't right to me... Especially Sierra Nevada Bigfoot... eghh!!

I really wanted to love that St. George's RIS that Dude sent me, but it seemed a but hot and it was too harsh for me. I'm just not a huge fan of stouts, just not my favorite.

Oh, and I wanted to love the Alaskan Smoked Porter, but the one I sampled, the '06, was simply too overpowering with the smoke.

homebrewer_99 said:
B-A-R-L-E-Y W-I-N-E!! Disgusting!! YECH!!!:mad:

I'll echo that, I had one bottle (I can't remember which brewery) and one at a brewpub. Both times I choked it down, but certainly not my style.

I would like to enjoy all those German wheat beers and such but I can't get past the floating yeast and the sourness. It just reminds me of drinking an infected batch of homebrew.

To be honest I am a bit of a hop freak. I love hoppy beers.

I haven't found a specific beer I actually hated yet, though I've had a couple I wouldn't buy again because I expected more than I got.

#1 Bison Brewing Chocolate Stout: I expected more chocolate flavor from this beer because of the added chocolate. I've had beers with chocolate malt only that have had more. (and it was $13 for a 6-pack).

#2 Widmer Drop Top Amber Ale : Maybe I got a bad batch, but it's a bit watery and not too spectacular in flavor.

The style I am likely to drink the least of is IPA's, because of the hoppiness (I have to be in the right mood). But even so, I still plan on brewing IPA. I personally loved the Bigfoot Barleywine, but I can see why others might not.

McKBrew said:
#1 Bison Brewing Chocolate Stout: I expected more chocolate flavor from this beer because of the added chocolate. I've had beers with chocolate malt only that have had more. (and it was $13 for a 6-pack).

I thought this beer tasted alright, but what got me turned off to this beer was the intestinal distress it put me through, and well, everyone around me. I never had a beer that gave me such awful farts :cross:

As for the beers that I thought I would really like... Lambics. I'm sure there may be a lambic out there that I do enjoy, but i haven't found one yet. If i want sour, i will suck on a warhead.

5gB

Most every Belgian beer I've had. I just can't get that stuff down. I enjoy a Chimay every once in a blue moon--but rarely, for sure.

I hope someday my tastes evolve.

the_bird said:
I really wanted to love that St. George's RIS that Dude sent me, but it seemed a but hot and it was too harsh for me. I'm just not a huge fan of stouts, just not my favorite.

Wow!

the_bird said:
Oh, and I wanted to love the Alaskan Smoked Porter, but the one I sampled, the '06, was simply too overpowering with the smoke.

Wow!!

Cheesefood said:
Scotch Ale. I thought I'd love it, but no way.

Wow!!!

I know, I know... you're disappointed in us... ;) But hey - the Pliny was every bit as good as expected!

I really DO need to crack that '05; from all that I've heard, it's pretty much spot-on perfect. Both beers, the St. George and the Alaskan, were just a little bit *too much*. I like over-the-top with IPAs, not so much with stouts (which aren't something I generally reach for anyway), and even smoked beers, I like the smoke to be a strong character but not to wholly dominate.

I'm not sure I've had a Belgian that I particularly cared for yet, but my expectations for those have always been muted.

thats kinda funny people have had their doubts with belgians...I always thought they were maked as having "the best beer in the world"...who knew

only belgian type beer I've had has been blue moon....i know not all that authentic but I liked it...a lot actually

As for the scotish ales...haven't had one either but I've got a belhaven wee heavy bomber sitting in the fridge...so we'll see

in fact I just did a group presentation in Multinational Managment about Belgium...just cause it meant I got to research beer

the christian chick in our group was a bit miffed but whatever..

5gBrewer said:
As for the beers that I thought I would really like... Lambics. I'm sure there may be a lambic out there that I do enjoy, but i haven't found one yet. If i want sour, i will suck on a warhead.
5gB

I have yet to experience a Lambic, but I'll try one once when I find it just to see.

ok yeah I don't like the belhaven...kinda like cough syrup...don't think I'll get through it

had my fiance taste it and she DID NOT like it..

kinda sucks too bc I thought i might like it.....but no

BierMuncher said:
Went to a Cards baseball game the other night and I really, really, really wanted to like that $8.00 Bud Light.

But I coudn't. :D

That's the ONE thing I really love about my White Sox season tickets. They're not the greatest seats in the park, but they're RIGHT by the beers of the world stand. No miller products for me!! Makes my game experiences MUCH more enjoyable.

The two beers I've dumped down the drain were already mentioned...barleywine and smoked.

Had a Stone Old Guardian and an Alaskan Smoked. I assume these are quality products, but the style is just not for me.

Interestingly, I recently realized I just don't like most Lagers. Previously I had thought this was becasue I was drinking ****ty ones--Miller, Bud, Heine, etc (maybe heine's not that crappy). But about a month ago I went on an all out mission, trying lots of good imported and craft brewed lagers. And I don't like them. I think it's the flavor given off by the yeast. I fully realize they are great beers and tasty, they're just not my style, I guess.
Maybe it's all that dormant Anglo-saxon DNA rising up and saying "top-fermenting you wanker!"

monk

Have to go with German Wheats, I have tried just about ever one, and just don't like them. But besides that i like them all.

Cask conditioned ales, haven't had a good one yet. The ones I've had have all been yeasty, green or just harsh.

i was all set to brew a hefeweizen after reading so much about them here.
i bought a commercial one to try and i am glad i did before brewing my own.
could not finish it - just not for me - and i can drink most anything!

Xmas is a real pain. I try to stock up on food in August, so I don't have to expose myself to the shopping season. I dread the day when Xmas shopping runs year-round.

There aren't any styles that I particularly dislike (though I haven't had a true cask ale) but there have been plenty of specific beers that just didn't do it for me.

+100 for barleywines.....especially SN Bigfoot.....bbblleeeechhhhtt........because of that beer I have realized that I am not a big hop head and started brewing alot of belgians with less hop profile.

Alaskan Amber. Just don't like it. I also don't like John Lennon's Imagine, nor do I think Jimi Hendrix is the best all time guitarist. All three are a friend's favorites so we argue this quite frequently.:D

rod said:
i was all set to brew a hefeweizen after reading so much about them here.
i bought a commercial one to try and i am glad i did before brewing my own.
could not finish it - just not for me - and i can drink most anything!

Don't let the commercial examples deter you.
My HB Hefe is excellent and I HATED the schneider weiss.

Back