Northern Brewer Bourbon Barrel / variation idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremyc50

Reaction score
This is my first time brewing this beer. I hear its great, however I am thinking about adding a little maple and coffee to the mix. Trying to mimic a Founders Canadian Breakfast Stout. Anyone try this or have any feedback on the idea?
I'll be adding the oak and Bourbon in about 24 hours...

:off:
Also in progress "Fat Tire Clone", Limited Edition Cabernet-Shiraz (Gotta keep the old lady happy.

Bourbon Barrel is one of my favorite beers and I try to have it on tap all of the time. For my tastes, I like a little more bourbon. I also use vanilla beans. I think your idea of some coffee added to the mix is a good idea!

Gary

How much bourbon do you add? I want something a little more mellow then Goose Island's Bourbon County but not too mellow. I want to be able to taste the bourbon without it being over powering.

Vanilla is a good idea, I think it may help the oak a bit.

My first attempt, I felt the oak vs. the bourbon was too much oak. So I added more bourbon until it tasted good to me. Ended up doubling the amount of bourbon. The next batch I added the vanilla beans and felt it added smoothness and mellowness to the recipe. Hope this helps...

Gary

I made this and used Wild Turkey 80 proof, 16oz. Soaked the oak cubes for a good two weeks and poured it all in the secondary. I'm very happy with the bourbon flavor and I don't think the Wild Turkey was "inferior" to something more expensive like Maker's Mark in this case. I like your idea of a little coffee though.

Latest posts

Back