DIY Double Tap Fridge Kegerator or Pre-assembled Kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rsenoch

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I am new to this forum and home brewing in general, and was wondering if someone could answer a few questions for me.

I just got a hold of a free mini-fridge, and I was wondering if it is cheaper/easier to set up a double tap kegerator myself, or buy one of the conversion kits for around $250-$300.

I have not picked up the fridge yet, but I know it has no freezer unit, is around 4.9c cubic ft. and its compressor is on the back of the fridge. So I know I should be good there.

My first question is if I want a nice non-pvc tower and I need the CO2 tank, regulator, Cornelius kegs, etc. will I be able to buy all that for a considerably cheaper price then simply buying a $300 kit.

Also I do want to get into home brewing which the kit or w/e I would buy would have the correct taps, however is it also possible to fill the kegs with domestic/imported beer. I know that I would need separate stankey/European fittings, however I just wanted to make sure this was possible and I could find places that would fill them.

Thanks in advance for all the help, I am just new to this and trying to weigh all my options.

yeah I wasn't sure which section it should be in. I can remove it from one of the sections if you can let me know which is the best for it to be in. Thanks

Here's my take for what it is worth: I bought this kit from kegconnection http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=430 The nice part is everything is included and it is pretty much "turn key ready". However, after having it for a month or so I find myself already replacing the cheap parts with more quality pieces. So I'm actually buying parts twice. If I had to do it again I think I would research all the equipment needed and buy quality stuff the first time (i.e. dual regulator, faucets, manifold...)

If you do decide to buy a kit, this isn't a bad deal IMO http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=429

For some reason the links are screwed up. Just click proceed on the website and you will be redirected.

edit: links might be working correctly now.

Chap, (and everyone else for that matter) thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

I have no problem buying things individually and doing the research along as it costs me roughly the same price as buying everything together. Other than this site however, where is the best place to buy individual parts, and do the research for them. Or is it more of just doing google searches for the research and then to find the cheapest prices?

Finally, it seems the fridge I have actually does have a freezer compartment. I was wondering if it is removable how easy would it be to use as a kegerator. I am also looking at getting a used magic chef, sanyo, or GE (All which are 4.4 cft.) Just wondering what people's suggestions are on fridges (And how much harder a freezer unit makes it)
Thanks again

Also duckfoot I will certainly be visiting your place as I start the brewing process. I have friends who have been there and were very impressed

Back