Help! No pressure in my keg....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LiMbTwIsTeR

Reaction score
I just hooked up a corny keg (Pepsi style) to my new regulator and CO2 tank. I can't get any pressure to the keg. The beer is flat and just dripps out.
The CO2 tank is full, the valve is open. The regulator has an O-ring installed. The tap and reg are hooked up correctly. I messed the the screw valve on the regulator....still no pressure. No pressure in the emergency blow off valve on the regulator or the keg. The guages don't even budge when hooked up.

What gives?? Is it just a bad regulator?

Have you tried turning the valve on the tank on without the reg or anything hooked up? Make sure you have a decent grip on it and the the valve is facing away from you and anything that it might blow away. Just turn it on and off really quick. If co2 comes out then I would say that your reg is bad.

Have you tried turning the valve on the tank on without the reg or anything hooked up? Make sure you have a decent grip on it and the the valve is facing away from you and anything that it might blow away. Just turn it on and off really quick. If co2 comes out then I would say that your reg is bad.

Yes, the tank blows co2 when disconnected....I guess I'll bring the regulator back and get a new one...

ok....I returned the bad regulator and hooked up a new one. SAME PROBLEM!!

Any other suggestions???

Two regulators that don't show any pressure with the tank valve opened...and the tank valve works...because CO2 comes rushing out --- with no reg. attached --- with valve knob turned CCW.

Never seen that!

What brand of regulators are these?

It has two guages...one goes from 0-60 psi, the other goes to 2000 psi and has a gas indicator....

I'm glad I put a little priming sugar in the keg....I know it's not good to keep beer w/o pressure in a keg.

I think I'm going to bring the whole f'ing setup in the shop. Tank, regulator, and my full keg. Pissed!!

I don't know the brand of regulator off hand...I'll have to check when I get home

Are the gauges moving at all? Have you tried with nothing connected to the out of the reg to see if anything is coming out?

Did you turn the valve on the tank on? :D

Are the gauges moving at all? Have you tried with nothing connected to the out of the reg to see if anything is coming out?

Did you turn the valve on the tank on? :D

No, pressure guage does not move at all. The guage that shows how much gas is in the tank hardly budges. The tank is full, and blows cold CO2 when disconnected.

The gasket is in the regulator.

And YES I turned the valve to the tank on. :cross:

You had to of gotten another bad reg then. Are you getting these online or local?

Local...I guess I'll bring everything in and see what they can do.....

I really wanted to drink this IPA for Monday night football!

At least I have Spaten Oktoberfest and some Troeg's on tap in my keg cooler...Speaking of which, I guess I could disconnect the regulator from the Keg cooler and hook it up to my corny...but then I would be trading two beers for one :(

Usually...there is a gallery that the gas passes through from the tank connector to the H.P. (0-2000 psi gauge). On IMI Cornelius...there is a Brass Nut on the back of the regulator. If you remove this nut...you'll have a NUT, O-RING, SCREEN, POPPET VALVE, POPPET VALVE SPRING... Sometimes the screen gets gooed up with thread sealant when they put them together. But I've never seen it bad enough to block the passageway.

Did the Regulator come with a shipping plug in the stem? You might look to see if there is a bright colored plastic plug... like a dust seal ... used during shipping to keep crap from getting inside the regulator...

So you have had another reg this whole time? If you only have a wye you could just swap the corney for one of the other kegs or get another wye and use all 3 off the one tank and reg.

I'd at least attach the your other regulator to the tank your using to verify the pressure in it.

If your tank is registering good pressure...then whoever is putting the regulators together must be putting too much thread dope on stuff. The pressure gauges are pretty fool proof...little sickle shaped tube that spreads out with pressure. Might not be calibrated...but they almost always move the needle. Unless something is blocking the gas from getting to them.

Usually...there is a gallery that the gas passes through from the tank connector to the H.P. (0-2000 psi gauge). On IMI Cornelius...there is a Brass Nut on the back of the regulator. If you remove this nut...you'll have a NUT, O-RING, SCREEN, POPPET VALVE, POPPET VALVE SPRING... Sometimes the screen gets gooed up with thread sealant when they put them together. But I've never seen it bad enough to block the passageway.

Did the Regulator come with a shipping plug in the stem? You might look to see if there is a bright colored plastic plug... like a dust seal ... used during shipping to keep crap from getting inside the regulator...

I didn't take the regulator apart....I did notice the threads are coated with teflon tape. Maybe they taped over the screen??? Or maybe they just hired some half retarded ex-con to assemble these things, and every batch he "stamped" with his seal of approval has gone to ****.

I'm usually pretty handy with this stuff, I've played paintball for years and know the innner-workings of CO2 powered systems.

The regulator had no plug... I checked that first. I've put my foot in more than one pair of shoes that still had the balled-up tissue paper from factory :)

I'm going to take this mother ****ing regulator and stuff is sideways up the shop owners ***** ****ing ass

^ not really, but I wanted to see what I could get away with.

***** and Ass are ok
**** and **** are out

So...I went back to the brewery supply store. It ended up being two bad regulators. In fact, I came in with my CO2 tank, the second bad regulator, and a full keg. We hooked up a third regulator....and guess what...IT WAS BAD TOO!!

The store owner was awesome about it though....He ended up giving me his own regulator and a new CO2 tank, along with some other odds and ends for the trouble.

Anyway...problem solved....thanks for the input

Back