Adding extra yeast before bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlsonderek

Reaction score
I was wondering something...Friday, I'm brewing a Belgian Tripel. I acquired some WL500 Trappist yeast and the primary will be 21 days, and I enjoy the conditioning and mellowing by racking to secondary so it will be in that for another 4-6 weeks, being a big beer. My question: after that amount of time (total about two months) is it necessary to add more yeast to allow for the bottle conditioning? I ask because of the high carbonation in the style.

Some brewers add more yeast; I never have and it comes out fine. Carbonated like champagne! WL500 has a high alc tolerance so it's perfect. Now if you condition for months then maybe...

That's good to hear--rather not have the extra headache and chance for infection. Thanks!

I always add fresh yeast for long fermentation/maturation beers... I tend to reserve part of a starter then make a very small starter from it, mostly for revival, then pitch a little part of the decanted yeast.

I guess you could also wash yeasts from your primary and reserve them for bottling, but that yeast will be degraded from high alcohol. Might be ok if you make a little starter.

Sometimes I just pitch a third of a champagne dry yeast pack.... works wonder... I'm less hesitant to do that for dry beers...

Don't pitch too much....

Back