Polling the masses: Looking for Burner/kettle Turkey Fryer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norsican

Reaction score
Looking to get into Full boils and I also happen to be looking at Turkey fryers. I'm wondering if there is a certain type/brand Home Brewers cling to? What kind of BTUs do I need to be looking at? I don't think my batches will get any larger than 6 gallons at their largest.

Any deals to be had out there?

krenshaw said:
Bayou Classic SQ-14.. got it based on recommendations on here and wouldn't use anything other.. the heavy duty square frame holds up to my keggles nicely.. i use 2 of them

For typical 6 gal or under batches, the sq-14 really is a great burner. I now use 2 Bayou kab4 burners (10" banjos) for 11 gal batches... whew! I know there are some good turkey fryer packages to be had as well- Bayou Classic, King Cooker, and I think even WalMart has some on hand.

i would stay away from the turkey fryer bundles you can get at the big box stores and get a bayou sq14 or sp10 burner and a nice pot/keggle. my turkey fryer took way too long to get 7gallons to a rolling boil.

Looking at what has been mentioned so far the SQ 14 and SP 10 only have a real difference of pressure.

If I was so inclined to do 120 min boils, how far would a standard 20lb tank get me?

Also, I think the idea to buy the burner/pot separate is a good one. Looking around there are some deals to have. Certainly keeps it cheaper than I was thinking.

Norsican said:
Looking at what has been mentioned so far the SQ 14 and SP 10 only have a real difference of pressure.

If I was so inclined to do 120 min boils, how far would a standard 20lb tank get me?

Based on my experience with the SP10 I get about 6 60 min boils on a 20 lb tank. I only do partial boils though... So you can scale from there.

Also, I think the idea to buy the burner/pot separate is a good one. Looking around there are some deals to have. Certainly keeps it cheaper than I was thinking.

The SP-10 puts out a lot more heat, but is louder and uses more fuel. The SQ-14 stand will hold a keggle without modification, where the SP-10 stand needs to be modified or have a grate added to the top. Either stand is good for standard stock pots. They're both great burners, and are usually priced about the same.

There are too many factors to be able to accurately estimate what your fuel usage will be. For a frame of reference, when I used an SP-10 I got ~4.5 batches out of a 20# tank (filled full, not the 3/4 full tanks you get when you swap). That was doing 10 gal all grain batches, heating strike and sparge water, and typically boiling for 60-75 min.

Have you tried you stove? I use this pot and have no problem boiling 6.5 gallons. Plus it is alot cheaper than propane.

Stove is good for partial boils. For a full stock pot boil id have no clearance to stir let alone add stuff. The hood is just too close.

yeah with my big pot i have about 4 inches between the pot and my microwave hood.. i acutually tried to cook a couple dozen ears of corn a couple weeks ago and it was going so slow.. i was like "duh, why don't i just get out my propane burner" .. that was much better :)

Back