First GF brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwandrusz

Reaction score
So, this will be my first GF brew, 2nd brew ever. Since you all have more experience with the GF thing, I thought I'd post up the recipe and get your input. Little less of this, little more of that, etc.

Style: American Pale Ale
Type: Partial Mash Calories: 157
Rating: 0.0 Boil Size: 3.24 Gal
IBU's: 56.63 Batch Size: 5.06 Gallons

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
1.01 lbs 13.70 % Oats, Flaked 60 mins 1.037
3.33 lbs 45.21 % Briess White Sorghum LME 60 mins 1.037
1.01 lbs 13.70 % Candi Sugar, Amber 60 mins 1.036
1.01 lbs 13.70 % Candi Sugar, Dark 60 mins 1.036
1.01 lbs 13.70 % Rice Extract Syrup 60 mins 1.032

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
0.76 ozs 30.02 Warrior 60 mins 15.00
0.55 ozs 12.76 Centennial 40 mins 10.00
0.25 ozs 6.67 Simcoe 30 mins 13.00
0.25 ozs 4.04 Centennial 20 mins 10.00
0.25 ozs 3.15 Simcoe 10 mins 13.00
0.50 ozs 0.00 Centennial 0 mins 10.00

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1.0 pkg Safale US-05 Fermentis US-05

Additions
Amount Name Time Stage
1.01 oz Irish Moss 15 mins Boil
8.00 oz Malto-Dextrine 15 mins Boil
1.01 oz Yeast Nutrient 15 mins Boil

I'm concerned about the amount of candi syrup, I read that fructose will make the beer taste cidery. Could not find BRS at the shop.

I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.

Oh I should add that it should be rice syrup solids in the mash, not liquid. That was what the program had in its database. Sorry about that

One thing I've concluded, and I think others have as well, is that if you are going to use grains then use a lot or don't bother. In my future batches if I use grains I'll be using 1lb per gallon. I have done a # of 2lbs grains in 5 gallon batches. Their impact was negligible. So I'd either remove the oats or up the amount. I've never used warrior or simcoe so I'm not sure how they taste. You can buy Lundberg's Brown Rice syrup in grocery stores if you are looking for BRS--it is what I use.

I don't think I'll get much in terms of flavor from the oats, but I thought that it may aid in head retention and a little better feel to the beer. I want this beer to seem as "real" as possible. Most, if not all, the commercial GF beers are not very good.

Hi Mate,

Recipe looks good. I'd probably make a couple of changes.

Increase the sorghum or rice malt by 1lb

Drop off the dark candy syrup and just use 1lb of Amber candy syrup. Add a third of the sorghum @ 60 minutes with the rice malt. Add the rest of the sorghum and the candy syrup at 0 with the centennial hops.

I haven't used warrior but I understand it's a very good in pale ales and ipa's for bittering. If you can afford it, at 7 days throw a half ounce of Simcoe and Centennial in the fermenter. Best if you put them in a sterilised hop bag or panty hose. That way you wont end up with flecks of hops in your bottle (they can cause gushers).

Trust me, this beer will be so much better than shop bought you'll be amazed. Also ferment for four weeks and bottle carbonate for four weeks. If you rush it, it wont be as good.

If you're impatient like me, upgrade to two fermenters so you're always brewing or bottling.

Thanks for the feedback! I will be brewing this tomorrow. I'll keep everyone posted!

So this has been in the carboy for 15 days. It just stopped bubbling on day 13, and there's still a bit of krauesen on top. Used s-04 rehydrated w/o a starter. Primary fermentation seriously lasted almost two weeks. Is this normalish?

Regardless, I'm transferring to secondary and dry hopping for 7 days before it goes in a corny. Looks a bit hazy, haven't cracked it to take a whiff yet.

Before putting it in the keg, leave it the fridge at very low temps for the best part of a week. This will cause lots of crap to drop out, so when you transfer to a keg you wont be drinking it.

If you bottle condition it typically all settles at the bottom and compacts so you can decant to a glass without getting it in your glass.

Have you drawn off a sample to see how it tastes? should give you a good idea of what it will be like when it's finished.

Tasted today when putting it in the secondary. It was not pleasant, very bitter an astringent, but the sample had a lot of the sediment in it, as well as some of the pellet hop. I'm staying optimistic. We will see what happens. Gonna give it a week with the dry hop.

Probably condition 3 weeks at 65, then cold condition for a week before serving.

Back