time to keg..??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jester

Reaction score
I have had brew in the primary for 1 weeek and then the secondary for two weeks, but over the last week in the secondary, little bubbles have appeared on the surface of the secondary... should I wait till the are gone to keg..?? THanks.

Jester

Those little bubbles are pretty common, and will most likely persist for as long as you leave it. Your gravity in the right neighborhood? Do you plan to age it in the keg? Imperial strength beers usually take a little while to mature. No harm in keggin though.

Darth Konvel said:
Those little bubbles are pretty common, and will most likely persist for as long as you leave it. Your gravity in the right neighborhood? Do you plan to age it in the keg? Imperial strength beers usually take a little while to mature. No harm in keggin though.

I broke my hydrometer, so I havent done a reading yet... I also will probably age in the keg, since I need the carboy to secondary another brew.... How long do you think it would take in the keg to mature..?? Thanks.

Jester

Maybe a month or two? Keg it and take a taste to see how it is. Best way to know when it's "ready" is to sample it from time to time.

Since you are kegging it, it can age and complete fermenting in the keg. A keg can handle a lot more pressure than bottles can and they have relief valves. It won't age any faster in the keg than in bottles, so 3-4 weeks.

Back