Secondary question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sea_of_Shells

Reaction score
Let the groans begin....

I couldn't find an answer to my exact question, but I'm sure someone will link a thread that covers this exact topic. Sorry in advance.

Anyway, I've never done a secondary. I never had a reason to in the past. However, I brewed a 1.100 imperial stout that I want to add coffee and vanilla beans to. This will require a secondary. My question is this: After I rack to secondary and then rack to the bottling bucket, will there be enough yeast to produce carbonation at bottling? Is there enough yeast in suspension to accomplish this? Yeah, I know, silly question.

While I've never done this personally, my understanding from people who have is that there will be plenty of yeast still viable and able to carbonate the bottles. Plenty of people on here have reported success at bottling a long term aged beer (up to 10 months from what I've read) without needing to repitch.

First, be sure the beer is at FG! Then rack and add the coffee and vanilla beans.

There will be plenty of yeast left to carbonate unless you are planning on secondary longer than 4 months, IMO

Yes, there is enough yeast in suspension and will enjoy eating your additions. I usually rack to a secondary and have never had a problem with the yeast gobbling up the additions and settling to the bottom.

Back