WLP011 experts out there?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imisri

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I brewed a spiced porter and pitched a vile of WLP011 3 days ago. White labs recommends an ambient temperature between 65 and 70 degrees. I had mine at 66 but wasn't seeing much activity. I placed it in a room that's exactly at 70 but there was a sulfury smell coming out from the airlock so I decided to move it back to the 66 degree room. However, now I'm seeing much less activity... suggestions?

It's better to leave it at a constant cooler temperature rather than moving it back and forth. I'd just leave it in the 66F area and let it take a bit longer to ferment. Also remember that the brew will be a couple of degrees (sometimes as much as 5-10F) above ambient while it is in the middle of fermenting as yeast creates heat during that phase.

The sulfur smell is usually a sign that the yeast is stressed (most commonly from temperature fluctuations), but thankfully should dissipate by the time you're ready to bottle.

The yeast didn't like the way you called it vile, so it went on strike.

One vial could be well under-pitching, and it can take a while for the yeast to reproduce to sufficient quantities to start working.

If you see any activity, that is good. Just let it do it's own thing. Cooler is better.

I used WPL011 for my recent Christmas ale. I never saw any airlock activity but my fermentation was complete three weeks later. My temp was a pretty constant 67degrees and I didn't have any sulfur smell during that time.

White labs also doesn't recommend ambient temperatures, they recommend fermentation temperatures. That's the temperature of your fermenting beer. You really need to be measuring that as beer temps can get as much as 10F warmer than ambient at peak activity which would be a disaster for your beer.

Back