How are people hopping their rye pale ales?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_bird

10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Thinking about a rye pale ale. Not looking to do an IPA and bury the rye under tons of hops, thinking of a recipe that's dry and crisp and shows off the rye but still has a balance bitterness and some complementary hops on the finish. I've yet to brew with rye; I'm thinking probably 25% - 30% of the grist, alongside some base malt and maybe just a little light crystal (half/three-quarters of a pound).

But on the hops - what do people like? What kinds of hops are people using that complement the rye spiciness? Are people going domestic? Pine-ey, like Chinook? Noble varieties? What's worked well for people?

Right now, I'm drinking a "kitchen sink" pale ale so the grainbill is a little weird. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/kitchen-sink-rye-pale-ale-345619/ This is a 10+ gallon batch.

But this combo of willamette/cascade (with one ounce of fuggles, 'cuz that's what I had) works well.

I first used willamette/cascade together in a Bell's Amber clone. It's not overly citrusy as a result, but still "American hops" tasting, if that makes sense.

It works extremely well in this rye. I used nearly 20% rye, and it's present but not overly so. The cascade/willamette combo blends nicely with the spice and even Bob (who doesn't really like rye beers much) is enjoying it.

I'm wondering about the "pine" route - maybe a little Simcoe, or even a little Chinook (which I haven't used in ages). Maybe split those two for the late additions (which wouldn't be too high). Probably shooting for traditional "pale ale" gravity, 1.050- 1.055, and 35-40 IBUs.

I have a Red Rye that I've been playing around with. The first time I used some centennial before that turned out nice. Some Sterling that was ok. And I just brewed it up again to go with a bit of Cascade and Citra just for fun

In my latest rye ale, which is the beer to date that I am most happy with, I used Mt. Hood as my flavoring hop. I used only 1.5 ounces or so. Total IBUs were 30-35.

Mine was not super dry as I had a fair bit of crystal in there along with Munich and Wheat. The Rye was 2 lbs in 11 lbs total grist (5 gal. batch), but came through well. If I was going up the aroma/flavoring hop additions I would definitely up the rye quotient.

I can definitely see Willamette and Chinook working well with the Rye. Will have to try that.

i personally don't get any spicyness from rye - maybe some tang but i mostly notice the dry finish/mouthfeel when using rye

i think it works well with citrusy hops

my favorite has been ~ 20% rye with nelson, citra and simcoe

I just bottled this ten days ago and it smelled and tasted really goood

Naughty Kitty Calico Pale Rye Ale
American Pale Ale
Type: All Grain Date: 8/7/2012
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal Brewer: Glynn Brown
Boil Size: 7.00 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Pot and Cooler (8gal/12gal)
End of Boil Volume 5.90 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 5.50 gal Est Mash Efficiency 81.8 %
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0
Taste Notes: Smells great
Ingredients

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8.0 oz Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 1 4.2 %
8 lbs Pale Malt - 2 Row (Cargill) (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 66.7 %
2 lbs Rye Malt (Briess) (3.7 SRM) Grain 3 16.7 %
1 lbs Caramel Malt - 60L (Cargill) (60.0 SRM) Grain 4 8.3 %
8.0 oz Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM) Grain 5 4.2 %
0.75 oz Mt. Hood [7.50 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 6 19.0 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 7 -
1.25 oz Mt. Hood [7.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 14.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Mt. Hood [7.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 8.4 IBUs
0.50 oz Mt. Hood [7.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 2.3 IBUs
0.25 oz Centennial [10.80 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 11 1.5 IBUs
1.0 pkg Dennys Favorite 50 (1450) (wyeast #1450) Yeast 12 -
2.00 oz Cascade [8.90 %] - Dry Hop 14.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [13.90 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.054 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.053 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.017 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.9 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.6 %
Bitterness: 45.5 IBUs Calories: 175.5 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 8.9 SRM
Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 12 lbs
Sparge Water: 4.69 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F Tun Temperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.20

Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 3.75 gal of water at 172.2 F 156.0 F 45 min

Sparge Step: Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun, , 4.69gal) of 168.0 F water

I'm intrigued by the Mt. Hood, because that would be a brand-new hop for me. I could certainly do worse than use Denny's recipe as a starting point, even if I de-IPA'ed it a little bit (bring the gravity and bitterness down maybe 20% - 30%).

We made this Rye Ale last March and it was fantastic. It took a good month to mature - but it was well worth the time. Poohba hooked me up with the hopping additions and it turned out great. We'll be making this again in a couple of brews but we'll up the % of rye to 18-20.
Good luck.

10 gallon batch
PAM 7.5K = 73%
Rye 1.25K = 12%
Wheat 1K = 10%
CaraHell 500 grams - 5%

We'll try out the FWH
Hop Schedule
Chinook 2oz FWM
Amarillo 1 oz FWM
Chinook 2oz @ 60
Chinook 3oz @ 5
Amarillo 2oz @ 5
Dry Hop - 2oz Chinook
Dry Hop - 2oz Amarillo

05 yeast

IBUs -FWH = 50.65

Estimated OG = 1.065
Estimated FG = 1.015

I'm intrigued by the Mt. Hood, because that would be a brand-new hop for me. I could certainly do worse than use Denny's recipe as a starting point, even if I de-IPA'ed it a little bit (bring the gravity and bitterness down maybe 20% - 30%).

That's what i basically did

Back