Best Bottles for Holding Carbination Repeatedly ? ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best bottle over time?

• craft beer bottle

• plastic bottle with screw caps

• Grolsch style bottle with swing caps

Results are only viewable after voting.

MisterTipsy

Reaction score
I have three different types of bottles:

1. Craft bottle beers.

2. Plastic bottles with screw tops.

3. Grolsch style bottles with swing caps.

I've been using all of them on the same batch. At first, all of them held carbonation equally, then they became less reliable.

Guess which type of bottle has stood the test of time and still carbs every bit as good today as it did a year ago?

even brewing back to back. drinking and rebottling the same day, none of the 3 should be failing in a year.

even brewing back to back. drinking and rebottling the same day, none of the 3 should be failing in a year.

They all hold carbonation still. One of them consistently provides the desired level of carbonation while the other two aren't as reliable.

Have you replaced the gaskets on the swing tops?

I haven't needed to. The swing top bottles are giving me the most consistent carbonation out of the three.

Again, the others are holding carbonation, but tend to finish a little flatter and some of them a lot flatter. I haven't had any that wouldn't carbonate.

The swing tops have been perfect every time and provide a satisfying THUNK when I open them.

MisterTipsy said:
I haven't needed to. The swing top bottles are giving me the most consistent carbonation out of the three.

Again, the others are holding carbonation, but tend to finish a little flatter and some of them a lot flatter. I haven't had any that wouldn't carbonate.

The swing tops have been perfect every time and provide a satisfying THUNK when I open them.

I'm curious as to whether or not you bottle all of one kind of bottle first, then the other, etc. Maybe the sugar isn't mixing well enough.

I'm curious as to whether or not you bottle all of one kind of bottle first, then the other, etc. Maybe the sugar isn't mixing well enough.

I thought the same thing, so I randomized the bottle fill on my last batch and got the same type of results.

Normally, I do fill the swing tops first, then the plastic bottles, then the craft beer bottles. The plastic bottles have been the least reliable of the three, but not too bad.

I'm pretty careful about getting a good mix of priming sugar. The sugar is liquified in water first. I stir the bottling bucket thoroughly before I bottle and I give it a stir once every 5 minutes or so while I'm bottling.

I don't think it matters, but the swing top bottles are 32oz, the plastic bottles are 24oz and the craft bottles are 12oz.

Gotcha! I guess I was assuming the poll was correct....

Swing tops sure are great if you can get your hands on some cheap ones. I've had good luck with craft 12 oz, tried some Heineken bottles and they didn't seal as well.

Probably end up saving over the long run with the swing tops because you don't need to keep buying caps. Bummer about them being so expensive is if you want to share your beer with friends- my buddies get the 12 oz craft bottles until they earn my trust.

I only have a handful of swing tops. Therefore I have no opinion other than what I know, which is 12 ounce bottles work fine.

Back