How would you brew Amarillo/Nugget Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SailorTodd

Reaction score
I'm going to brew a pale ale this weekend with Amarillo and Nugget hops. Given an all-grain bill with up to 12 lb total grain bill, with 2-row and up to 20% consisting of any combo of Crystal 20/40/60, 2 oz each of Amarillo and Nugget, and WLP001 Cali ale yeast, how would you brew it? I might also have a touch of CaraRed and possibly Munich if you feel like throwing that into the mix.

I just made a pale with 1/2 lb of Munich, 1/2 lb of Victory, 1/2 lb white wheat to go with the 2 row. Kegging this weekend. Samples have been good.

If it were me, I would put in a touch of Munich to the bill .. 1/2# would suffice.

Love both those hops! Would probably schedule them like ...

.75oz Nugget @ 60 min
0.5oz Amarillo @ 20 min
0.5oz Amarillo @ 8 min
1.0oz Amarillo @ 0 min
0.5oz Nugget @ 0 min

or similar.. to your own tastes... Love that little touch of Nugget at the end!

Good luck!
-LexusChris

If it were me, I would put in a touch of Munich to the bill .. 1/2# would suffice.

Love both those hops! Would probably schedule them like ...

.75oz Nugget @ 60 min
0.5oz Amarillo @ 20 min
0.5oz Amarillo @ 8 min
1.0oz Amarillo @ 0 min
0.5oz Nugget @ 0 min

or similar.. to your own tastes... Love that little touch of Nugget at the end!

Good luck!
-LexusChris
I like it. I am going to do it almost just like that. It's going to be this:
10lb 2-row
1lb crystal 20
1lb crystal 60

0.75oz Nugget @ 60 min
0.5oz Amarillo @ 20 min
0.75oz Amarillo @ 8 min
0.75oz Amarillo @ 0 min
0.5oz Nugget @ 0 min

Infusion mash @ 152 for 60 min, then boil as scheduled above.

Just a suggestion but i think 2# of crystal in any recipe is way to much.
i would personally only use a pound, and if you want to use both i would only use a half pound of each.
Personally if i was going to use thoze ingredient it would be something like 9# 2row, 1# Munich and 12 oz crystal 60.
Jmo.

Billybrewer09 said:
i would personally only use a pound, and if you want to use both i would only use a half pound of each.
Personally if i was going to use thoze ingredient it would be something like 9# 2row, 1# Munich and 12 oz crystal 60.
Jmo.

Depends on the recipe. I've got a pretty damn accurate clone for Celebration that has 2# of crystal in it.

Depends on the recipe. I've got a pretty damn accurate clone for Celebration that has 2# of crystal in it.

I should have said " depending on the recipe " but i think with what the OP is trying to accomplish it is to much. I think with a pound each of C 40,60 he will end up with a very sweet beer and a high FG.

I like it. I am going to do it almost just like that. It's going to be this:
10lb 2-row
1lb crystal 20
1lb crystal 60

0.75oz Nugget @ 60 min
0.5oz Amarillo @ 20 min
0.75oz Amarillo @ 8 min
0.75oz Amarillo @ 0 min
0.5oz Nugget @ 0 min

Infusion mash @ 152 for 60 min, then boil as scheduled above.

I would Dry hop for at least 4 days with one of the flameout additions

Jmo.

This is exactly why I'm asking. Thanks for the input. I think you're right.

Grain bill is now 10# 2-row, 1#Munich and 1# Crystal 60 now. And I'm about to begin milling the grain, so it won't change much after this.

Thats why i like this forum. There is so much great information and suggestions to be had here.
Good luck with your brew day. Keep it updated if you think about it.

Outside brewing it up now. 30 minutes in the mash temp is a bit low (149 vice 152) so it'll be a little lighter bodied, but no worries there. Enjoying a pipe and some brewing tunes while I wait to start sparging.

Back