Need a burner for keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nanofreak

Reaction score
I need a new burner for a keggle, one that it will sit on right. The burner I have isnt too stable. Those with keggles, other than a blichmann, what are you using that it sits on stable?

Thanks

My personal favorite, the SQ14 or the overkill Banjo Burner. Either will do just fine.

Banjo burner is just a burner that comes in many stands. It is what is in what I have now. The keg is not stable on it. Are you using the SQ14 with a keg? Does it fit on well?

Yeah, I have a keggle with an SQ14 and no problems. It's pretty stable and fits better than those stands for the banjo burner.

I'm working myself up to building a Hermes, was thinking of transplanting the burners from the tb650 into the rig. Are there any reasons anyone could think of why this wouldn't work? And are the burners on that stove up to the task? I read somewhere that all three can't be run at once, would that just be the volume of the average propane tank?

I currently have a Blichmann, but previously has the SP10 (still have it for portable brewing!). It fit the keggle, but wasn't as stable as I would have liked, so I bought a 20" round SS grill grate for like $12.00 at Lowes and attached it to the top of the SP10 with SS worm clamps, and it was perfect for the keggle.

HOWEVER, if you brew alot, get one of their burners with the Banjo burner in it or go ahead and spring for a Blichmann. Their efficiency makes it so that they use almost 1/2 to 1/3 of the propane of the cheaper burners, so they pay for themselves after about 45 batches, which is about 1 1/2 years for me.

Bayou Classic KAB4 is great.

The Blichmann burner is the same, but they polish it and drill out all the holes and put a different regulator on it.

My brother has one of each, and the Blichmann is clearly superior. If upfront costs are a concern, the Bayou Classic will do you fine, but you will burn significantly more propane.

The Blichmann burner is the same, but they polish it and drill out all the holes and put a different regulator on it.

My brother has one of each, and the Blichmann is clearly superior. If upfront costs are a concern, the Bayou Classic will do you fine, but you will burn significantly more propane.

Housing/shielding is also vastly superior on the Blichmann. I had one of the KAB4 burners before getting a Blichmann... Sold the KAB4 to another brewer that needed a burner and I got a second Blichmann. :D The Blichmann works GREAT with keggles with zero modifications. Just set it up for the OD of the keg (part of the normal assembly of the Blichmann burner) and you'll be very happy. I'm actually looking at converting my short pony (1/4 bbl) keg into a HLT to use on my stock Blichmann burner. It will take the place of the 10 gallon BoilerMaker I've been using (last two batches). Mostly due to the BoilerMaker being a smaller diameter, and not covering the burner as well.

I have a KAB4. It is sturdy, has a large stable surface for the keggle and burns very very hot. I agree it is great as is but benefits from a couple modifications. Most notably to extend the shield so it loses less head and directs what there is more directly to the bottom of the keggle. A piece of tinfoil works fine but I will eventually make a piece of sheetmetal to do the job. I also like my keg high enough to drain directly into my carboy from the spigot I installed so I put it up on some concrete block. Again, more permanent leg extensions are in the plans. All of that said, the price is right.

When I got the KAB4, the cost difference to a Blichmann wasn't all that much (not even $40). Plus, getting a keggle onto the KAB4 can be touchy. You have very little room for error when it comes to placement there.

Plus, getting a keggle onto the KAB4 can be touchy. You have very little room for error when it comes to placement there.

Whoops, sorry. I have the KAB6. It is a big heavy burner with plenty of surface for the keggle. I apologize for the confusion. It was quite a bit cheaper than the Bilchmann when I ordered through Amazon.

Thanks for pointing that out Golddiggie

When I got the KAB4, the cost difference to a Blichmann wasn't all that much (not even $40). Plus, getting a keggle onto the KAB4 can be touchy. You have very little room for error when it comes to placement there.

I got the KAB6 thats a little bigger 22"across. keg has lots of room.

I must have.miscommunicated. The TB650 has 3 BG12 burners. Has anyone had any experience with these burnerz ? I had thought to buy a TB650 AND scavenge the burners, and regulators from the TB650 and mount them on a custom rig

I like how with the Blichmann you can [essentially] lock the keggle/kettle in place. You simply set the tabs for the size kettle/keggle going onto it (once) and then you don't need to worry about centering it. :rockin:

After reading a lot about putting a keggle on a burner I decided to save the money and go with the KAB4 over the KAB6. I made a very simple (and cheap) mod using SS hose clamps to secure the keggle to the legs that seems to work great. I don't think it's necessary to spend more for the KAB6.

I posted it in a youtube video here...
I took this from my phone so the video and audio quality isn't the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just did a modification to a KAB6 to provide better wind shielding and to direct the heat more directly to the bottom of the keggle. The same modification could also be done to the KAB4 but with a little different materials. I made a windscreen, shown below, using two 8" to 10" metal duct adapters that were cut open, trimmed and slightly stretched to fit the circumference and screwed together at the ends as well as to the existing metal shield. The edges were crimped to avoid bodily harm. It seems to be very rigid and has a diameter of 15", slightly less than my keggle.

Burner Mod back.jpg

Back