My first Extract Brew! Citra Wheat IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goughm87

Reaction score
This was my first extract brew and my first non-Mr.Beer kit. I decided to go with something totally different than the usual: Citra Wheat IPA. I am doing 1/2 size batches because I do not have room for 50 bottles lol. Also, I have to do partial boils because I have an electric glass stove (would take FOREVER to get 3 gallons to a boil)
Batch: 2.5 gallons
Boil: 1.5 gallons
2# Wheat DME
1# Amber DME
4oz Honey
8oz Flaked Wheat
1oz Citra Hops
1oz Cascade Hops
1 tsp Irish Moss
1oz Bitter Orange Peel
*Calculation from beercalculus.com
Color: 7
Bite: 51.5
ALC: 6.0%

BOIL:
.5oz Citra @ 60
.5oz Citra @ 30
Irish Moss @15
Cascade @ 5
Orange Peel @ 1

Here are some pictures for entertainment and possibly educational purposes:
Pic#1 Ingredients
Pic#2 Steeping Wheat
Pic#3 Witty Monk Witbier (My last Mr.Beer brew, delicious!)
Pic#4 Start of Boil
Pic#5 2nd Hops addition

Ingredients.jpg

Steep.jpg

Witty Monk.jpg

Boil.jpg

2nd Hops.jpg

Hopefully I'll get better at posting soon, but here are a few more pics:
Pic#1 My heat booster (Get the boil going)
Pic#2 My "wort chiller", worked really well actually
Pic#3 Ready to go
Pic#4 Next morning, bubbling away!!!

HeatBoostr.jpg

Cooling.jpg

Ready2Go.jpg

Bubbling.jpg

Checked a sample today, 1 week into fermentation, looking and smelling AWESOME!
Merry christmas to all!

Merry Christmas to you too, and a happy New Year. I'd be really interested to hear how this turns out. I love citra hops, and I've been thinking about brewing a wheat IPA to see how it would be to have an IPA with some more mouth feel.

Very nice, looks like a cool simple setup. Glad to see you're enjoying your transition into extract brewing. Good luck and Happy new years.

This sounds pretty good. You gonna dry hop it? Let us know how it turns out. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna brew this soon.

I had a delicious German Wheat IPA a couple of months ago at the Epcot Food and Wine Festival and it was outstanding! One of the best aromas ever. I looked up the beer and they used all cascade. Anyway, I'll be interested to see how this turns out because I want to do one of these soon. Good Luck!

Back