American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For some reason I haven't gotten around to brewing this one yet. Thanks again, Ed! I entered the recipe in BrewSmith and for an American Pale Ale my SRM came in at only 4.6. The style is 5.4 - 14. Now I'm no stickler for being exactly to style. But has anyone bothered to maybe use Caramel 20L instead of 10L?

This was designed to be light in color, but I have used Crystal 15L without issue.

n8dagr8 said:
Hmm...hopefully it fades.

Just for my own knowledge, you hit your final gravity? I'm being lazy about taking a gravity ready and it sounds like you and I brewed close to the same batch.

I thought I replied but turns out I didn't. I ended up hitting 1.012. The fermentation was pretty robust. After one day, it bubbled out all the vodka in my airlock. Had to refill the bugger.

I was expecting a vigorous fermentation with the amount of yeast I pitched from my volcanic starter, but it was very mild-mannered. The Franziskaner clone I brewed the previous week without a starter was much more intense. I'll look to keg it either Wednesday before I head to Montreal (10 days in primary) or when I get back on Saturday or Sunday (13-14 days).

For some reason I haven't gotten around to brewing this one yet. Thanks again, Ed! I entered the recipe in BrewSmith and for an American Pale Ale my SRM came in at only 4.6. The style is 5.4 - 14. Now I'm no stickler for being exactly to style. But has anyone bothered to maybe use Caramel 20L instead of 10L?

I've used carastan (about 37L) because it's what I had with no issues.

I had the exact same thought after I entered it into Beersmith. But I am still doing extract boils so I am sure my color will be darker than that.

Yeah my extract brews were always a lot darker. I never experimented with late extract additions though. Always tasted great, just a little dark. Doesn't bother me!

Thanks for the replies guys, and Thanks again EdWort for all your great contributions to the site. Made it up yesterday, looked great. A lot of pale ales appear pretty dark for me, considering the name! I'm fine with the color, was just curious.

Shuznuts said:
I thought I replied but turns out I didn't. I ended up hitting 1.012. The fermentation was pretty robust. After one day, it bubbled out all the vodka in my airlock. Had to refill the bugger.

Thanks.

Yeah, I've been using blow off tubes since my second brew. Easier to clean up after. :)

So, funny story.

1 week in the bottle and I wanted to see if that yeasty taste I experienced at bottling was gone. Yesterday I finished the last of my fall DIPA off and cracked open a bottle of the Haus pale ale just to try. I couldn't taste ANYTHING! I guess the head cold I have is worse than I think. I was a little stuffy yesterday. The IPA I was drinking before the APA was definitely bitter, which seemed to dominate the flavor profile. But when I got to the APA....nothing. Maybe a little slight hop bitterness, but no delicate malt tones, no hop flavors, and definitely no yeastiness. The beer was amazingly clear. It "looked" really good. Just a little sad it had virtually no flavor. Well, this morning I have the worst sinus headache, sore throat, and my voice sounds is barely audible. I guess I am sick (which sucks), but I'll have to try this again when I can actually taste the beer, or anything for that matter.

I brewed 10 gallons of this recipe biab style. I ended up cutting 3.5 lbs of pale malt from the grain bill so that it would fit it all in my keggle. It worked out perfect though because I ended up with 81% efficiency and an OG of 1.056. Fermented between 62-64 for 5 days then raised up to 68 for 2 days. Took a gravity reading 1.011 so despite missing a good chunk of the grain bill I still hit 5.9% ABV. Thanks for the recipe, just tasting the sample it was amazing. I did sub 1 oz of Columbus for bittering and used a half ounce of cascade for flavor and aroma. Stupid lhbs being out cascade.

Brewed on Sunday. Hit 1.051 added .5 of 6 row in the mix. Also, run out of cascade had to sub centennial for the last two hop schedules.

Brewed this on Saturday and this was the first time I hit my SG on the dot (6th batch ever). I did the extract version and had to adjust the hop amounts doing a partial boil. Everything seemed to go great, the best clarity I have seen in an original hydrometer reading. Airlock started bubbling 24 hours after pitching with no starter and it's been going for 2 days now. Can't wait to try one of these!

I thought I posted this already but looking at the thread I guess not.

Just wanted to say thank you very much, the batch I brewed was consumed quickly at my works Xmas party, in fact most people preferred it over the beers also there, not a single one made it back!

Ok, so head cold is better. Tried this beer again. I'm really happy. Crystal clear. Smooth. Just the right amount of hoppiness (for my taste--I substituted brewers gold because for some reason my lhbs cascade kinda sucked). Great beer. Thanks so much!

I brewed this up last Saturday morning for my first all-grain. I guess it went well enough. I am trying to decide if I should bottle it up before heading out of town for the holidays, or leave it until the new year. It got really warm the first night (I slept for 8 hours, but I'm not sure how long it was way over temp), but I got it chilled immediately and it was been mid-sixties since. Should I stick it on the basement floor tomorrow (ghetto crash cool) and bottle Wednesday or leave it?

Brewed this up on 12/10/11, transferred to secondary yesterday (day 10), and dry hopped with about an ounce of Cascade. OG was 1.060, but I was only at 1.022 yesterday (sample tasted pretty good). It's been fermenting the whole time at about 63 F. Today it has this odd look where the top 6-8 inches below the hops are considerably darker than the rest of it. Any clue if this is normal or might be a sign of something?

P1010992.jpg

Is the darker part just the heavier stuff separating out; does the darker part look clearer and the lighter look almost smokey?

Today it has this odd look where the top 6-8 inches below the hops are considerably darker than the rest of it. Any clue if this is normal or might be a sign of something?

You might just be seeing gravity at work. That is to say the yeast are falling out of suspension and the resulting "clearer" beer will be darker due to less light being reflected back to you by the particles in suspension. Your beer is "crashing"

You might just be seeing gravity at work. That is to say the yeast are falling out of suspension and the resulting "clearer" beer will be darker due to less light being reflected back to you by the particles in suspension. Your beer is "crashing"

I bet that's what it is. The darker part at the top does look clearer. Thanks

Just tapped my keg of this to enjoy while watching my MIZZOU Tigers in the bowl game. This beer is very good. I've made some unique beers, and it's nice to have a more traditional to drink. I bumped up the ABV to 6, and it still quaffable.

Thanks for the recipe!

Looking for some advice. I brewed this today and got 5.5 gallon in the fermenter, but only hit 1.041 OG, all-grain. How could I bump this up to 1.050? Maybe add 1lb DME? Would I just boil some water, add 1lb DME and let it cool and add it to the fermenter? Can I do this 24-48 hours after pitching? Thanks!

justin

I did this one again today. I changed the late hop to citra just to see how it comes out.
I also did an ipa today. Long day today.

Finally got a first taste of this brew after 2 weeks on gas in a keg. Holy cow that is just an amazing pale ale. Perfect head retention, wonderful hop aroma and a perfect balance of malt and hop on the pallet. Like many others this will become a staple at my house.

First post in 2012! The ale lives strong!:rockin:

Brewed this last week, was my second AG and second batch ever. The first I tried was a Wit which I'll say was much too difficult for a first brew. Flavoring a beer with spice is not easy.

I can already tell this is gonna be good. I used centennial because my LHBS is out of stock on cascade. Adjusted the ibus and blam. Fermented out in 2 days. I will be using Nottingham again for other beers. Great yeast.

Thank you Edwort

Brewed this today!

I based the recipe on a 68% efficiency that I had been getting since I started all-grain, and upped the grains a little bit because of it. Bought the ingredients from the LHBS that I had not been to yet, and had the grains crushed there. Focused on getting any doughballs worked out, and double batch sparged. Well, I nailed 82% efficiency today! Soooo... I had a pre-boil gravity 1.054 and a post boil gravity of 1.063, a few points higher that I would have liked, and I bumped up the 30 minute cascade addition to 1 ounce to maintain 38 IBU. Rehydrated Nottingham yeast, pitched it at 68 degrees. I have the stuff to do this again coming from Midwest, so I will have something to compare it to. At ~6.5% ABV, I hope it is not too overwhelming alcohol wise... I imagine it will be all good!

Very easy brew to make, made for a relatively stress free brew day.

Thanks EdWort!

Used this recipe to brew my first yesterday! It went (mostly) smoothly. I went AG BIAB and stuck exactly to the recipe (except for the hops - LHBS only had 8.8% Cascade, so I dialed back the amounts).

The sample I look for OG reading was a gorgeous color and tasted pretty good. It is now happily bubbling away in the fermenter.

Thanks for the great recipe, EdWort!

After three weeks in the fermenter I kegged up 5 gallons today. Did EdWort's original recipe and had a little taste - nice!. First time with this recipe and this will absolutely become a staple in my haus brews. My hat's off to you EdWort!

I do have a question though. It will be 10 days in primary this Friday. Its still cloudy just like the pictures some have posted, same color light orange. Should I leave it until the orange cloud drops out of it? or will it clear in the bottle?

I check it everyday hoping to see that light amber clear color on top. Id post a pic but i can't yet. :p

I brewed this on Sunday, and using the Nottingham yeast. have already hit final gravity (1.012). That yeast is quite fast! I, of course, drank some of the hydrometer sample, and it does not present with too much alcohol forward taste at 6.5%, so we will see how it goes - this was my only real concern. Have some Citra hops on the way from NikoBrew, going to give it a little dry hopping with 1 oz, as I really like the tropical fruit taste that they bring to the table. Also, I have the stuff coming from Midwest supplies to brew it again this Sunday, and will probably dry hop with something else and try it with US-05 yeast this go around.

These are my first attempts with Pale Ales (I have not imbibed too many different types, and this is the first one I have brewed), so I look forward to all the experience gained!

Thanks!

Ryan M.

I would really like to brew this but am wondering if it is possible to do the extract without full boil? I spent a lot of time reading this thread, but not all so forgive me if it's been covered. I am new and just have a basic setup with a 20 qt brewpot. Thanks for any advice.

Tbnguy said:
I would really like to brew this but am wondering if it is possible to do the extract without full boil? I spent a lot of time reading this thread, but not all so forgive me if it's been covered. I am new and just have a basic setup with a 20 qt brewpot. Thanks for any advice.

Ya it will work just fine. Watch out for boil overs though. DME is great at boiling over.

Back