Ice cream stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HudsonHB

Reaction score
I've been pondering the idea of making a cookies and cream stout, or a chocolate chip cookie dough.
Any thoughts? This would most definitely be a winter brew. Just trying to get some ideas flowing.

I have no idea how you would get a flavor like that. Subscribed!

Maybe build it like a chocolate stout but heavy on some biscuit malt? Nah, that wouldn't do it. Either way I think some vanilla beans are in order!

Cigar City makes an Oatmeal Raisin Cookie brown ale. It's their Maduro brown ale with vanilla, raisin puree, and cinnamon added to secondary fermentation.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/17981/53014

It's only on draft, but I was able to try it and it tasted just like an oatmeal cookie. I think the raisins gave it the cookie taste more so than the vanilla and cinnamon.

Maybe adding a small amount of raisins (whatever way you decide) would work. Don't do so much that you get a strong flavor from it, but a subtle one that adds to the cookie taste. Maybe combine that with vanilla bean and cocoa power or something along those lines.

Southern Tier's Creme Brulee stout is probably the closest commercial beer to what you are aiming for. Really high-gravity, super thick and chewy, sweet as heck, and literally tastes like creme brulee. Essentially you'll be aiming for a high grav milk stout. Lots of lactose and maltodextrin I guess?

Back