Keggle vs SS pot vs almighty Boilermaker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabrew

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Slowly but surely planning on building a version of the infamous Brutus 10. Question is...I have access to kegs but have come through numerous posts where people are all wired up on the Blichmann and other SS pots. I do realize that the kegs will require some modification, but that the fun part....right?

Just wanted to know what the Blichmann hype was all about and what sites provide the necessary equipement for keg modifications (false bottom, sight glass,...etc all non-weld).

Thanks for you help!!

Gabrew
:mug:

Hey everyone,

Slowly but surely planning on building a version of the infamous Brutus 10. Question is...I have access to kegs but have come through numerous posts where people are all wired up on the Blichmann and other SS pots. I do realize that the kegs will require some modification, but that the fun part....right?

Just wanted to know what the Blichmann hype was all about and what sites provide the necessary equipement for keg modifications (false bottom, sight glass,...etc all non-weld).

Thanks for you help!!

Gabrew
:mug:

Can't help much my friend except to say that that's why I stuck with the SS pots... They already come with a big hole in the top! :)

When the Blich's first came out, he and I conversed about adding the dimensions of his pots to his website as I was getting a ton of questions if they would fit. I believe they are still there on his site, although I know that some are having an issue with the 15 gals fitting on my stand... They have reversed engineered several mods to make these pots fit nicely... The stepped bottom would be the only issue that I know about.

wow, an answer from the Brutus guru himself!

I've just watched the videos and pushed me into building a brutus rather than buying a turn-key system.

So from what i understand, you are not using the blichmann but SS pot...would you mind letting me in on which ones (polar or megapots or...??)

thanks!

It's all bling factor if you ask me. You can put together a 3 keg system for less than 1 Boilmaker. Save the money and use it on other aspects of your system.

^^ thats exactly what i thought...especially the false bottom...doesn't seem too efficient in comparison to the standard mesh...

I have kegs that I converted myself. I built a brutus clone.
I would like to have the morebeer 15 gallon pots now.
The concave bottom in the kettle causes some issues that I jsut deal with for now.

I have kegs that I converted myself. I built a brutus clone.
I would to have the morebeer 15 gallon pots now.
The concave bottom in the kettle causes some issues that I jsut deal with for now.

what kind of issues
-loss of wort?
-trouble draining?
-burn-on?

thanks

First, this site is the only one you will need for all your beer needs. The DIY section, especially in the sticky at the top called "Project Locator".

I have 3 keggles and IMO they are the best. I gaurantee, though, that anyone who spend the clams on a shiny blichmann pot will differ.

i built a brutus 10 using kegs. i enjoyed building the system, from polishing the kegs to welding the stand and kegs, so if you think you will enjoy building it, go that route. some of the differences i know of, without assumption, is that kegs are not identical, as some have dings, and different shapes, etc. blichmann's kettles are precisely accurate and similiar in shape and size. DIY hole punching in kegs is hard to get accurate.

kegs can be cheaper than Blichmann's---but not by much when you put all costs of welded/weldless sightglasses, temp gauges, drain valves, etc. browse the classifieds for some used blichmann kettles and you may come across a good deal.

my only assumption here is that Blichmann kettles probably hot a more even heat distribution more-so than kegs.

as far as equipment, search the vendors here on HBT. Jaybird makes excellent false bottoms (go with the hinged version if you are using kegs).

For my brutus build, I obtained 90% of my equipment through MoreBeer.com, brewershardware.com, northernbrewer.com, and austinhomebrew.com.

morebeer has been excellent to me. i rarely order online with them. i usually call in and speak with them over the phone. good luck and pm me if you have specific questions or are having hard times finding certain parts. i'll be more than happy to help you as i just brewed my first batch last weekend on my new system and am brewing again this weekend,

cheers mate

Awesome...thanks everyone for the heads up and encouragement on going with the Brutus.

Because I can pretty much get the kegs for free, I'll most probably be going that route for now and if every I decide to change in the future...the rig will accomodate 15gal kettles.

Cant wait to get started!!!!

i built a brutus 10 using kegs. i enjoyed building the system, from polishing the kegs to welding the stand and kegs, so if you think you will enjoy building it, go that route. some of the differences i know of, without assumption, is that kegs are not identical, as some have dings, and different shapes, etc. blichmann's kettles are precisely accurate and similiar in shape and size. DIY hole punching in kegs is hard to get accurate.

kegs can be cheaper than Blichmann's---but not by much when you put all costs of welded/weldless sightglasses, temp gauges, drain valves, etc. browse the classifieds for some used blichmann kettles and you may come across a good deal.

my only assumption here is that Blichmann kettles probably hot a more even heat distribution more-so than kegs.

as far as equipment, search the vendors here on HBT. Jaybird makes excellent false bottoms (go with the hinged version if you are using kegs).

For my brutus build, I obtained 90% of my equipment through MoreBeer.com, brewershardware.com, northernbrewer.com, and austinhomebrew.com.

morebeer has been excellent to me. i rarely order online with them. i usually call in and speak with them over the phone. good luck and pm me if you have specific questions or are having hard times finding certain parts. i'll be more than happy to help you as i just brewed my first batch last weekend on my new system and am brewing again this weekend,

cheers mate

Gotta agree with Bucks here all the way...

Yea, I LOVE my kettles... They were the staple from Morebeer, and NB at the time. I bought mine from NB (3ea), and before that, I had bought three from Morebeer... These were VERY nice for the price. They are VERY hard to none to find now... Don't know the full story, but you could get them from Morebeer, Northern Brewer, or even the dreaded St Pat's (bought one from them too!)... It was the exact same tank made by EuroTank. I would like to know the story because I want more!

In any case, there are some great systems using Keggles. I have thought about that myself but I love my pots...

The Blich's look great to me. I have touched one of them at the local HBS a time or two. I even asked Blich if he would GIVE :))) me three to try out for him... Still waiting on the email! :)

Personally, it all makes great beer man... Go the way your heart takes you...

cheers mate

The same on Morebeer for me. Chris Graham is one of the owners and he has helped out a lot over the years.

No, that is more like a megapot...

It's more like these, and still by the same manufacture, but these are 26 gals and still available from NorthernBrewer...

http://www.northernbrewer.com/winemaking/variable-volume-tank-100l.html

Actually, I have thought about these a LOT... Much bigger, yet the same diameter as mine on Brutus. Only thing is I would have to up my BTU's to do 15 gallons... It just may happen yet!

Wow, very cheap compared to other pots!

btw, are you still using jet burners...and if so, do you recommend them over banjo burners?

thanks

I'm assuming your talking to Lonnie, but I have these hard plumbed in all three burners.
http://morebeer.com/view_product/17245//Propane_Burner_-_55000_btu

I'm not auto with a pilot light like Lonnie. There are a bunch of issues that guys reported with those jet burners so I just went with the standard burners. I actually pulled them off some cheap turkey fryers that I picked up off Craigslist.

Wow, very cheap compared to other pots!

btw, are you still using jet burners...and if so, do you recommend them over banjo burners?

thanks

Indeed I do my friend... It works great for me, but the exact parts that I used are very hard to find at this time... There are so many great iterations of Brutus out there it is impossible for me to say though. Of course this has been the idea all along! Do what you want to do!

Blichmans are mainly about bling, I admit.

The cost isnt outrageous though...

When you get a Blichman you are getting a SS kettle

designed with a dimensional aspect ratio made for brewing, not a chili pot

with a stepped bottom to all but eliminate deadspace

with snap in-out dip tubes that are fully adjustable

with expensive, large face, multi-position thermometers

with 3 piece ball valves

with lids

with BEEFY, well guarded and calibrated sight gauges

with tools and brushes to perform maintenance on the kettle itself

They may cost $400, but if you added all of that to many SS pots, youd be in the same ball park. It is just a kettle that sort of comes with the best of everything already installed.

Also, the button falsie is an engineering gem... it offers the even lautering of a falsie (efficiency), but with the clogging resistance of a slotted manifold, genius.

The kettles are light, VERY LIGHT, compared to a keggle... for someone that moves kettles around, it is very nice.

That all said... yah they are $400 each, but you are getting A LOT of stuff when you buy a Blichman, if you have no desire for that stuff, it makes no sense to buy one.

A 15 gallon Blichman is $370 with free shipping (they are drop shipped)

That pot listed above at MoreBeer is $240 with free shipping (then add the 3 piece ball valve for an additional $15, Blichman thermometer $73, and the Blichman sight gauge which has to cost at least $50 if you could buy one)

Now that pot costs you $378 from MoreBeer and you still have to build and install a pickup tube, it doesnt come assembled or drilled and it doesnt come with the tools to do so like the Blichman does.

Blichmans are expensive, but you are getting exactly what you are paying for.

with 3 piece ball valves

with lids

They may cost $400, but if you added all of that to many SS pots, youd be in the same ball park. It is just a kettle that sort of comes with the best of everything already installed.

Also, the button falsie is an engineering gem... it offers the even lautering of a falsie (efficiency), but with the clogging resistance of a slotted manifold, genius.

The kettles are light, VERY LIGHT, compared to a keggle... for someone that moves kettles around, it is very nice.

That all said... yah they are $400 each, but you are getting A LOT of stuff when you buy a Blichman, if you have no desire for that stuff, it makes no sense to buy one.

Cain't agree more... Still waiting on my three free Blich's to try out! :)

i got my kegs from a friend at no cost, but after welding costs, ball valves, couplers, temp gauges, etc, each keggle was probably $200 each. i'm happy with the kegs, they do make beer. to each his own. there is no wrong choice. i also use the 10-tip jet burners and like them so far.

got my jet burners form topfoodservice.com. they dont speak the best english but have the parts i need.

http://www.topfoodservice.com/Merch...ECABJ001&Category_Code=KECABJ&Product_Count=0

with 3 piece ball valves

with lids

A 15 gallon Blichman is $370 with free shipping (they are drop shipped)

That pot listed above at MoreBeer is $240 with free shipping (then add the 3 piece ball valve for an additional $15, Blichman thermometer $73, and the Blichman sight gauge which has to cost at least $50 if you could buy one)

Now that pot costs you $378 from MoreBeer and you still have to build and install a pickup tube, it doesnt come assembled or drilled and it doesnt come with the tools to do so like the Blichman does.

Blichmans are expensive, but you are getting exactly what you are paying for.

if you dont want to build your own system Gabrew, you can purchase Willy Nilly's bad ass E-Brutus 20.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f16/100-ss-electric-brutus-20-5000-a-172588/

By the way Willy........Beautiful!

^^yeah I've replied to his thread...but its a bit out of my price-range and unfamiliar with the system's technicalities...but it sure is damn beautiful!!!

^^yeah I've replied to his thread...but its a bit out of my price-range and unfamiliar with the system's technicalities...but it sure is damn beautiful!!!

Looking at some pilot breweries on ProBrewer and thier costs, mine is underpriced :D

I get it though, Id never drop $5k on a rig.

I was going to get the 20gal tippy from morebeer = 2750$...but since I have the joy of living in Montreal...shipping just makes it rediculously expensive :(

What does that even mean?

The BoilerMaker™ is the only brew pot on the market designed from a clean sheet of paper solely for brewing. The height to diameter ratio is the ideal 1.2 to minimize boil-off and also prevent boil-overs. We've also optimized the sizes to blend seamlessly from hot liquor tanks, mash tuns, boil kettles to fermentors for the common batch sizes of 5/10/20/1bbl.

There is a plethera of useful information on their site

John Blichmann is the guest speaker on Jamil's Brew Strong podcast named "The Boil". I believe it was a very recent one. He goes into much detail on his pots.

Yes, he is, it was... and it is a good way to learn more about the engineering that went into each kettle he makes.

So are the 10 tip burners from topfoodservice low pressure? I've tried asking them but have not gotten a reply.

yes they are. and if you look you will see that they have extra parts too if you need em. so far i havent. knocking on wood.

I like my boilermakers a lot. But after using them, I do wish they were all welded ports. Other than that they are great. The sight glass and false bottom are the best features I think.

I hate keggles,

SS or Boilermakers are definitely better if you can afford them. SO much more versatile than a keg.

BucksPA, I just got a response from topfoodservice, and they say they are high pressure. Did you change out the tips in your to be low pressure? Or do you just have a low pressure regulator and they work good enough with that?

BucksPA, I just got a response from topfoodservice, and they say they are high pressure. Did you change out the tips in your to be low pressure? Or do you just have a low pressure regulator and they work good enough with that?

on the boxes i recieved it reads low pressure lp. i also got an adjustable 0-30 psi regulator and it works great. i can adjust it to trickle like a match or full blown blue torch fire. i didntg change out any tips or make any modiifcations. i ordered over the phone so maybe they carry both.

After using Keggles, economy SS pots, and aluminum stock pots, the BoilerMaker is like a heavenly gift. They are by far the best kettle IMO.

Easy to move around. Easy to modify. High quality workmanship. High quality components. Designed with exactly what we need.

IME, they can't be beaten.

I sure would go for them....ill start my brutus see how much it comes up to and depending on that factor, ill see if i go with with big boys or stick to the keggles. 15gal pots go for 580 here in Montreal...

Back