Roasted Red Pepper Porter(?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SemperFermentis

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to brew with some roasted fresno chili peppers this weekend. I've been inspired by Craggie's Burning Barrel Porter. Jury's still out on whether I'm going to oak it like they do yet, (probably going to decide after a taste post-fermentation).

I'm inclined to stick with the porter idea, and while there are a bunch of discussions about peppers I don't get much in the way of yeast selection. I have several options to go with here:

WLP011
WLP001
WLP002
WLP004
WLP007
WLP028
WLP060

I'm having a tough time deciding whether or not I want to use a super clean yeast, or if I would prefer the esters? I am leaning against WLP004 based on the description (diacetyl production), but what about attenuation? Would this benefit from some residual sweetness? How about smoked malts?

Would love some input from the masses.

I have always loved my porters and stouts that I have done with the WLP004
With an attention of 69-74% It has given me enough residual sweetness for my taste.

I have not used any smoked malts before nor have I made a chile beer so I can't comment there.

I have always loved my porters and stouts that I have done with the WLP004
With an attention of 69-74% It has given me enough residual sweetness for my taste.

I have not used any smoked malts before nor have I made a chile beer so I can't comment there.

Good to know. I won't fear the diacetyl. I think I've decided to go without the smoked malts this time around, baby steps. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back