AppleJack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burshaw

Reaction score
I plan on turning my cider that i made in to jack any tips on how to get the best product? And how much should i expect to get out of each gallon?

I plan on turning my cider that i made in to jack any tips on how to get the best product? And how much should i expect to get out of each gallon?

There are a ton of threads about jacking cider. Personally, I have tried many ways...including freezing in a bucket and scooping out the ice and freezing a gallon jug of cider and inverting it over a tub or something to collect the concentrated and unfrozen liquid (by far most common).

The loss of volume depends on the temperature, but you can expect to lose half.

ColoHox said:
There are a ton of threads about jacking cider. Personally, I have tried many ways...including freezing in a bucket and scooping out the ice and freezing a gallon jug of cider and inverting it over a tub or something to collect the concentrated and unfrozen liquid (by far most common).

The loss of volume depends on the temperature, but you can expect to lose half.

I did it last month for the first time. Waited till I had a week of temps in the teens. Put a 5 gal. carboy into 5 one gal. plastic jugs. Left outside.

Shake up the jugs to break up the ice and pour through a strainer. Each time you loose a gal. When it no longer freezes you are done. I got 1.5-1.75 gal. from 5 gal.

It tastes so good, so smooth!

Do you know what the final % was

It is difficult to calculate the final abv with much accuracy as it is dependent on the temperature and not a linear relationship. You can get close using the starting volume, starting alcohol concentration, and the final volume, then calculating the final concentration.

I Loved the freezer method.... It worked very well!

But it's really dangerous I think to make such an amazingly tasty product that will get you three sheets to the wind b/c it's so dam good you can hardly stop drinking it....
:)

Back