Need Help With Bottle Conditioning, Not Getting Enough Fizz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UncaMarc

Reaction score
I'm on my third batch of 14 day cider. Got a great recipe which I will gladly share after I work out this one last thing.

Once I have fermented from 1.060 to 1.004 I then back sweeten with concentrate (no preservatives only ascorbic acid) and immediately bottle.

I let them go about a week and found a bit of a "puff" in the bottles so I stove top pasteurized.

Just not enough of the bubbly.

Should I add a pinch of yeast to the bottling bucket? I'm racking off of the lees into the bottling bucket before adding the concentrate. No chemicals at all added (except yeast nutrient and my special sugar recipe at the primary fermentation stage).

Any ideas how to up the fizz?

I'm on my third batch of 14 day cider. Got a great recipe which I will gladly share after I work out this one last thing.

Once I have fermented from 1.060 to 1.004 I then back sweeten with concentrate (no preservatives only ascorbic acid) and immediately bottle.

I let them go about a week and found a bit of a "puff" in the bottles so I stove top pasteurized.

Just not enough of the bubbly.

Should I add a pinch of yeast to the bottling bucket? I'm racking off of the lees into the bottling bucket before adding the concentrate. No chemicals at all added (except yeast nutrient and my special sugar recipe at the primary fermentation stage).

Any ideas how to up the fizz?

I had the same problem but I figured i just pasteurized a bit to early. (was scared of bottle bombs).
I have another batch going now and will add the "norm" 5 oz of dextrose after desired sweetness and wait a little longer (checking carbonation periodically) berfore i pasteurize.

This is the reason I use the swingtop lids....cause if I go to long before I pasteurize then I can open all the bottle really prime and start over only thing that changes is abv no harm no foul

With pasteurized bottles, I'd just drink them still. If there's at least a little pop the CO2 will hopefully help keep them stable for a little while. The only way to make those fizzy would be to open them up add a dash of sugar and a dash of yeast. Getting it perfect for each and every one would be a pain. (in my opinion)

What yeast strain are you using? If you are using the same yeast on each batch...maybe try a different strain?

Would the bottles start to pop if you let them condition for two weeks and then pasteurize?

Would the bottles start to pop if you let them condition for two weeks and then pasteurize?

Fill a coke bottle the same time you fill you glass bottles when it gets hard then test ....if you like then pasteurized.

Back