American Pale Ale Three Floyds Zombie Dust Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sivdrinks said:
Ahh. My attenuation is better with that also, probably use it next time.

It's worked well for me both times. Would like to try s04 to see what taste difference would be but this stuff never hangs in keg long enough.

so im sitting at around 1.022 after 10 days. i used wyeast 1968 and fermented in the upper 60s. my OG was around 1.066, maybe a little higher. i did the all grain version, and i tried stirring up the yeast cake to bring it back into suspension, but the gravity didnt change. Is this due to the fact that 1968 ends a little higher? it smells great right now

marms said:
so im sitting at around 1.022 after 10 days. i used wyeast 1968 and fermented in the upper 60s. my OG was around 1.066, maybe a little higher. i did the all grain version, and i tried stirring up the yeast cake to bring it back into suspension, but the gravity didnt change. Is this due to the fact that 1968 ends a little higher? it smells great right now

I used S04 and finished at 1.021. Seems the English strains finish higher. Kegging mine tonight, won't taste until Friday but will post my results.

So I'm drinking this at 3 weeks, 2 primary and 1 dry hop. It's very good, the aroma is unique but it's tasting a bit like the Simcoe/Amarillo combo, not a bad thing. It's only 5.6 abv because I finished at 1.021 but that makes it more drinkable, plus it has nice body. Personally I'll mash around 152 next time, see if I can finish a couple points lower.

I used the San Diego Super Yeast with this one, and finished at .016, with a mash temp of 152. Great Beer.

Brewed reciept above first post, citra pellet boil, going to use leaf for dry hopping, ,mash at 152 for 75 mins, , gotta love the smelll of the citra Hops ,,,
I will report back later , used so4 for one 5.5 and 1968 for other carboy been in logger box for 3 days and temps are at 65 to 68 swing , I have brew countless bells two hearted , and Gumball head clones one thing I found is that brewing them at 152 leaves a more dryer and hop pronounce beers whick I like them to be ,,,this is the first zombie dust clone and every thing went very good on brew day , I brew back to back batches , other beer was a Gumball head ,, gotta love the 3 Floyd's beers thou.
Dreadnought,misspelled is my next clone
I have palisade hops I want to sell cheap 3 plus pounds , I haven't got a need for this one , does anyone know where this hops is used , I brewed a two hearded and used strictly palisade and didn't care for it , was bad but not choice compared to cenntail hops
Thanks

I know this is made with all citra hops. But I was wondering how this recipe would turn out using nothing but Amarillo hops. The reason I ask is I have enough Amarillo on hand and was looking to use it. How do you think this will work. I know it will not be Zombie Dust

Why not just give it a try? The malt base is nice and Amarillo is a solid hop. What's the worst that could happen?

Jimmyjoe said:
I know this is made with all citra hops. But I was wondering how this recipe would turn out using nothing but Amarillo hops. The reason I ask is I have enough Amarillo on hand and was looking to use it. How do you think this will work. I know it will not be Zombie Dust

This is a good idea. I am going to brew this with half Amarillo and half Citra. I really like the grain bill and the process. I plan to make many variations of it.

Just finished carbonating this. Didnt have melanoiden at the time, so I did a carmelization of about half a gallon of wort after first runnings instead. Used honey malt too instead of caramel. Tastes amazing in the glass. I can see this keg going fast. Must find more citra hops.

When I went to brew masters on Saturday to get all the Ingredients to make this. I just went ahead and bought the citra hops to make it right the first time. It is bubbling away at 66 degrees in my basement in a swamp cooler.

I'm freeing up some room in the chest freezer this weekend and I think I'll be brewing this on Sunday. Will be nice to have a fresh hoppy beer around again! Looking forward to my first all citra recipe. Thanks, Skeezer!

Just killed a 5-gallon keg of this that I brewed back in March. I primaried for 1 month and I let it keg condition for about 1 month. It was great. It just kept getting better as it aged. I drank it as slowly as I could so it would last. I'm a little sad today.

I think this is my favorite beer I've brewed so far.

b-boy said:
thank you for your support during this difficult time. In lieu of flowers please send citra hops.

In lieu of flowers a donation has been made in your name to citra hop growers in an effort to make citra more available and cheaper for the masses. On behalf of a grateful nation, thank you.

In lieu of flowers a donation has been made in your name to citra hop growers in an effort to make citra more available and cheaper for the masses. On behalf of a grateful nation, thank you.

This makes sense. I've been pricing out a rebrew of this beer and with price of citra hops I might need to take out a second mortgage. One place wants $3.75 an ounce.. Ouch! I've got a son in college. The ZD clone may have to wait.

My brother told me about a place that has it for $20/lb + shipping yesterday, but I can't remember what site. I will find out, then buy them all and sell them to you guys for $30/lb.

Just Kidding..but I will try to find out and post here if they still have it.

Here they are side by side.. And even though I made an extract version everyone preferred mine. Time to make another batch

image-1494431619.jpg

Just killed a 5-gallon keg of this that I brewed back in March. I primaried for 1 month and I let it keg condition for about 1 month. It was great. It just kept getting better as it aged. I drank it as slowly as I could so it would last. I'm a little sad today.

I think this is my favorite beer I've brewed so far.

My previous question was intended for this post. Did you have trouble with the aroma fading having it in the primary for so long?

I transferred min to a secondary after 10 days in the primary and it smells incredible!

I have primaried for over a month, due to travel. The dry hops make it happen in this....a lot. It also ages fairly nicely for an IPA.

For those asking about gravity/mash temp. I have always hit or been really close to O gravity. Mashed from 152-156, and used 1968, s04, and S05. FG ranged from 1.015-1.02. If using English yeast, mash lower: 150-152. I also don't use oxygen (yet, but will by next month). All were great, so the mash temp will depend on what you like (dry or sweet). I like both, so am impartial. On that note, I will mash around 150, use oxygen, and an English yeast for my next batch (probably some WLP002 from my soon to be yeast cake from my Wookey Jack clone attempt.

Doing this one up again this weekend as I'm down to half a keg left on this. Great brew. Was at Floyd's last week for lunch and had a glass but couldn't get growler to go. Would have liked to do side by side. House brew around here this summer.

My keg is nearing it's end also. Next time I'll go a bit more bitter and use S05 of S04, not a huge fan of the yeast aftertaste and would it a tad drier. Great recipe though, a keeper!

My previous question was intended for this post. Did you have trouble with the aroma fading having it in the primary for so long?

I transferred min to a secondary after 10 days in the primary and it smells incredible!

no. The hop aroma did not fade at all. There are a lot of hops in this, so I'm guessing that's why.

Just bought all the ingredients to do a PM (5# grain bill) version of this brew. The 9 oz of citra hops at $2.75/oz brought this brew to a whopping 51 dollars, which is quite pricey for a non-imperial beer, but I live in an area that cannot get any Three Floyds, so I'm excited just to try it. Brewing on Monday!

I am probably 3/4's of the way through my keg of this recipe and man is this a great beer! SO GOOD! I was wondering however, what anyone thinks about using the White Labs Burton Ale yeast on this recipe. I used S-04 and I love the results. I have a yeast starter pretty much ready to go with the Burton Ale yeast and want to use it up on an IPA. I am just not sure how the character of that particular yeast would compliment a recipe such as this one.

I just bottled this and the taste and smell is amazing. Can not wait 3 to 4 weeks for the finished product. Glad I did it using the citra hops

Almost done drinking the first batch. Be warned this brew goes fast. Think it's time to make two at a time.
Side note, making a trip to Three Floyd's as we speak.. Excited as hell

Brewed this today. I was out of melanoiden so aromatic was subbed in. Don't think there will be much perceivable difference. Mashed a little lower, at 153. Fermenting with S-04. Smells awesome. I'll report back in a few weeks.

Brewed this on Sunday. Ended up a little high at 1.070. Mashed a little low at about 150. Has the makings of a brilliant mistake and a potent one at that. Can't wait to taste it.

PJM said:
Brewed this on Sunday. Ended up a little high at 1.070. Mashed a little low at about 150. Has the makings of a brilliant mistake and a potent one at that. Can't wait to taste it.

Agreed. If I were to make a mistake. That would be the way to do it. Dry hop the hell out of it!

Back