You CAN smack a smack pack too hard!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gnarlybarley

Reaction score
Today my brew day started out with me smacking my Wyeast smack pack so hard it blew up in my kitchen. The first time i used a smack pack I didn't hit it hard enough and when I went to add my yeast I noticed I hadn't popped the inner package. So, every time since then when I use them I smack as hard as I can.... which worked fine, until today. Oh well, lesson learned. Don't Hulk Smash your smack pack or you'll be heading to your LHBS while your wort is in an ice bath.

I usually find the little activator thingy, move it to the corner, and then crack it to ensure I get it opened.

Happens to the best of us. Had a wily one, once - didn't seem to matter how I hit it, the inner package would always slide out of harms way. I got pissed, smacked it as hard as I can, and painted the wall with wort. Damned inner package was still intact!

I dumped its contents straight into the started, and it worked OK. But did I catch s^!t for the mess it made.

Bryan

I could see how it could happen. I have to smsh that packet freeken hard to break it, and I am not a small guy. Also, don't feel bad I had a cloged drain on my keggel and had to flip it upside down into my MLT. You should have seen the mess I made.

Did this once with an 1187. Broke all over the kitchen floor. My dogs then proceeded to lick up every last drop and they were gassy as hell for at least 3 days afterwards. I've never broken one since.

Irrenarzt said:
Did this once with an 1187. Broke all over the kitchen floor. My dogs then proceeded to lick up every last drop and they were gassy as hell for at least 3 days afterwards. I've never broken one since.

Dog farts - bet your house was fragrant for those days.
FWIW I worry about breaking the smack pack each time I use one. Note to self - try to keep the dog from licking it up if/when I do smack one too hard.
:grin:

Yep same here, although I didn't smack it that hard. Mine seemed the result of a weak seal. I just taped it shut and it somewhat expanded. Pitched it and all was well.

Back