Hops Variety - Please Help ID

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

copyright1997

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I was at a birthday party for one of my son's friends. I notice that there are hops vines in the back yard. This suprises me as although I knew about the hops (the house owner moved in with the vines already there and doesn't use them), I was under the assumption that they were promised to someone else. Anyway, it turned out that they never showed up, and so I now have a couple garbage bags of them.

I'm attaching a couple pictures of them. Is there anyone out there that can identify the variety? Thanks.

IMG_0465.jpg

IMG_0466.jpg

I would guess Cascade.

Big cones. Look jsu tlike the ones in my back yard.

Saaz, nugget and pearle are alot smaller. Cascade is also the most popular and even non-home brewing garden centers carry them by me.

You could buy some cascade and try to compare aroma or make a hopped cascade only beer. There are cascade hop heads. Put it in a beer and they will either confirm or deny your suspicions.

Last year I made a "cascade" beer and drank it realized I put the wrong labels on my hops. It was sterling, not cascade. Radically different. Sort of gross. Lol.

You could buy some cascade and try to compare aroma or make a hopped cascade only beer. There are cascade hop heads. Put it in a beer and they will either confirm or deny your suspicions.

Last year I made a "cascade" beer and drank it realized I put the wrong labels on my hops. It was sterling, not cascade. Radically different. Sort of gross. Lol.

LOL. I just processed (cut, picked, dried, vacuum sealed) over a pound of cascade, some nugget, Williamette and Centenial that I got locally (for free). So, you would think I would know by now...but I am a dumb S__T when it comes to this. I'm pretty sure they are cascade, but wanted others to confirm/deny.

Back