growth on my plants help!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jokingscroll

Reaction score
so i am growing hops for the first time in my life well maybe the first thing i have ever grown in my life anyway so the plants are coming up great but there is a growth/burnt looking spots on the plants in my garden also some of the crowns were ripped off by a hard wind will that effect the plant or yeild of the plant?

The burns could be a result from the sunlight burning water off them. Seeing as you're in florida you do want to make sure the hops aren't exposed to brutal sunlight all day, and especially not after they were watered/rained on. It's nothing that will kill your plant if it happens sometimes, but if you expose them to it all the time then I'd imagine it would have pretty negative results.

As for the crowns blowing off...I'm not sure what you mean? I thought the crown was the estableshed root system underground. Do you mean cones? It'd be very very early if not impossible for you to see any cones now. So I'm not exatly sure what you mean. If you lose some leafs that's not problem though.

My adivce would be to maybe move the plants to an area that doesn't get as much direct sunlight, seeing as you're in Florida and you get plenty of it. Also, since youre in Florida, you're going to have to take into account the frequent rain showers followed by sun. I'd just try to put them somewhere that isn't completely exposed to sun all day and you should be fine.

ok so sorry i thought i added pictures but herer please help

046.jpg

045.jpg

039.jpg

the top part of the plant broke of the wind yanked the string and pull off the head of the plant. its kinda hard to move it now as you can see

As far as the plant breaking it will be fine had that happen to me. It will either send ne shoots to replace that one or after a week or 2 tht one will send shoots out at the leaves nearest the break.(at least that is what mine did.) as far as the spots on your leaves i cant tell if that is from sun scald(id say no) or a soil deficiency of some sort.(my guess) but ill let others with more exp answer that for sure.

a growth/burnt looking spots on the plants in my garden also some of the crowns were ripped off by a hard wind will that effect the plant or yeild of the plant?

Did you fertilize them? That's what the burnt spots look like. If the growing tip was broken off, the buds located at the leaf junction just below will take over as the dominant growing point. Once they begin to grow just pinch one of the two off and allow the other to climb like was so astutely mentioned previously. I would recommend getting away from the fertilizer as I've seen it do more harm than good especially with new growers.

If you have sandy soil, great. It drains well and a good amount of water may help leach some of the fertilizer out of the root zone. I would water them good on a weekly basis and see what happens. If they aren't too big at this point, you could dig them up, rinse the soil away from the roots and move to another spot - just try to keep the root system in tact. If you are 'really' concerned you may want to try to lift one and water the other ones to see which method works better.

Back