conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrecords

Reaction score
I have a buddy I'm trying to help with his first batch. unfortunately I dont have a scale. he needs 2.2 lbs of sugar is there any conversion for wieght to volume? lbs to cups? thanks

you should be able to put it into google and get what you want

IE

3 gallons to liters

something like that

what does he need 2.2 lb of sugar for?

is it from a kit bc it's probubly best NOT to add the sugar...

you should either add more malt or do it with out the sugar

BUT someone else probubly has better advice than I do

All I know is adding sugar into a wort is sort of a bad idea

take it easy and good luck

orfy said:
2.2lbs of sugar is a full 1kg bag.

I know you mean well, but as he's talking cups & pounds, I have to assume he's here with us backward colonials. :D

Once we get the metric system, we'll be able to buy a 1Kg bag of anything... but right now, for sugar you get either 1 lb, 2lb, or 5lb. Most commonly 5lb from the supermarket for regular cane sugar.

I'd second the recommendation of using more malt rather than the sugar, if from a lower-end kit. Sugar will work, but malt will give a better beer.

Sugar is made and sold the world round in 1kg bags.
I presume the original recipe would of been done with the 1kg bag of sugar hence the total of 2.2lb being quoted. Just trying to show it should be one bag full.

I haven't a clue when it comes to cups. but I'm sure a two pound bag plus a rough guess at a tenth extra would do.

As said there's no way I'd use a kilo of sugar in a brew.

how is 1kg to much ?

thats how much i use when making from kits for fermentation, then some more for carbing

Because sugar is not malt. Beer is made from predominantly malt.
It's a cheap bulking agent for low quality kits.

Some styles of beer are right for the addition of small quantities of sugar but any large amounts will make a cheap low quality beer.

butler1850 said:
Once we get the metric system, we'll be able to buy a 1Kg bag of anything... but right now, for sugar you get either 1 lb, 2lb, or 5lb. Most commonly 5lb from the supermarket for regular cane sugar.

I always get sugar in 1kg packages from my LHBS or wherever I happen to order from (usually austin homebrew), and you should NEVER use cane sugar from the grocery store.

Now, don't get pissed at me if something goes wrong, but I do have a digital scale, and it appears as though 1 cup of sugar weighs about 200g (see, I even used grams)

I do think, however, that you should just scrap the sugar and go for DME, just as easy to use, and it tastes a whoole hell of a lot better.

I don't understand these kits saying to add 2.2lbs of sugar when your only using around 5lbs of malt (i switched back to english measurements). A small amount can give you a little drier finish, but that much just makes it taste cidery, which you don't want in your brew, unless your brweing cider, but you're not, so you don't.

ah.. that would be the reason i have low quality beer

so these girls help me

tapgirl.jpg

pron.jpg

wow now we are talking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back