cidery porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mclane2003

Reaction score
So I have brewed 3 beers that all came out well. My 4th was the robust porter kit from brewers best. Brewed it did 2 weeks in the primary 2 in the secondary. Fermented fine and gave it a taste before bottling. Tasted pretty good just not carbd. Bottled and after racking it into the bucket with priming sugar.

After 3 weeks in the bottle it tastes kind of like cider and nothing like what it did before I bottled and it really isn't carbd. I dont know what i did wrong since I followed the same procedure as the prior beers. Do I need to just keep waiting?

Thank you

Can you put your recipe up, along with any additions that may have been above and beyond what the kit included?

I did the kit and didn't add or do anything out of the usual. I feel like the yeast just isnt doing their job in the bottles since it has not carbed and the sweetness could be from the priming sugar. Wondering if I should un bottle it all into a corny keg and pitch in some yeast. Any thoughts?

Thank you

3 weeks later.....for a total of six weeks total in the bottle...... no improvement

Ouch.

What did you use to sanitise your bottles with? It could be that residue killed the yeast that was also active.

Also what temperature were the bottles stored in?

I used star san then ran the bottles through the dishwasher. Thinking maybe I didnt wait long enough for the bottles to cool off. Could I save the batch by unbottling into a corny and pitching some yeast?

People will tell you just to keep waiting but I will tell you from experience you can wait forever and it may never go away.

I have had two beers out of about 60 that wound up with a cider taste. I still have a porter that I brewed last year in march and it still has the cider taste. I use it to cook with.

The first beer I did I kept for 6 months (cream Ale) and it never got better. When I poured it out the whole kitchen smelled like apple cider.

Latest posts

Back