Late extract addition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allanmac00

Reaction score
I'm currently brewing an IPA that calls for adding half the extract to the kettle at the beginning of the boil, then the other half about 40 minutes into it. All the beers I've ever done call for using all the extract at the beginning. I was under the impression that all your extract should boil for at least 60 minutes. Is this a mistake in the recipe, or will this actually help the beer?

I'm currently brewing an IPA that calls for adding half the extract to the kettle at the beginning of the boil, then the other half about 40 minutes into it. All the beers I've ever done call for using all the extract at the beginning. I was under the impression that all your extract should boil for at least 60 minutes. Is this a mistake in the recipe, or will this actually help the beer?

It will likely reduce scorching and carmelization. I would follow the instructions.

I always do late extract addition. The extract has already been boiled once and doesn't need another BUT you do need some sugars in the water for proper hop extraction. Most folks put 40 to 50% extract in the water for the hops and the remaining extract in at the end of boil. Your beer will come out slightly lighter by doing this because you won't be caramelizing your extract as much. Also, with less malt/more water ratio in the pot, you have less chance of burning your extract.

Yep, it's a newer technique used to reduce maillard reactions (darkening and "twangy" wort) and increase the hops utilization. Even the newer recipes by Jamil Zainasheff use late extract additions.

If you're using an older recipe that doesn't have late extract additions, you can still do it, but you'll want to decrease the bittering hops a bit due to the better hops utilization. We can help you with that, if you come across that issue.

Extract doesn't really need to boil, since it's already processed. The point of the 60 minute boil is for the hops, to isomerize the bittering oils.

What is the recipe you're using?

It sounds like your LHBS is up to date on the latest methods which speaks well of them. It's always a good idea to check when you get "iffy" information from a LHBS but in this case it's very good information.

True that. I've got nothing but friendly vibes and good info from them. 1/2 hour away though is the only thing. No biggie though. :mug:

Let me know how that goes, I have been wanting to try the last extract but I have been a little iffy on it because my directions from Midwest always say put it all in at once.

Let me know how that goes, I have been wanting to try the last extract but I have been a little iffy on it because my directions from Midwest always say put it all in at once.

I felt the same way on my first two batches, but I am going to go ahead and try it on my next one. I have read too many good things about late extraction here not to try it.

A related question -- if you add most of the extract with 15 minutes to go, do you add the Irish Moss at the same time?

I do.

I love the late extract addition. It increases hop utilization and decreases caramelization. This lightens the color and I've also noticed that it seems to give the beer a cleaner taste.

Some would wonder why the recipes and kits sold don't include that - seems like it is a win win, haven't heard a negative about it yet.

It's fermenting as we speak. It tasted good when I sampled the wort, but the color looks a little odd. It looks like mud, and looks unlike any beer I've ever had. We'll see how it turns out though.

My understanding of it ( and I am a NOOB) is that is kinda of a newer technique. It may take awhile for it to become more mainstream and for kit manufacturers to catch up and change their instructions.

Depending on the ingredients, an IPA can look cloudy and thick like mud to start with. The yeasts are helping to keep the beer churned up. Once they slow down, the beer will start clearing up. RDWHAHB!

Back