suggestions for simple additions to kit lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guess it depends upon what style lager you are brewing. For a German style, I wouldn't add anything-let the malt do its job. The orange peel you mention is usually for Belgian style ales, along with about 1/2-1 tsp of coriander, or maybe 1/2 tsp grains of paradise, both crushed. I know that the True Brew lager kits contain ale yeast (according to my LHBS), but not sure of the rest. If they do, go ahead and add other spices, etc. Use your imagination, but I would suggest not going overboard-very hard to correct an over-spiced beer, unless you dilute it.

Thanks for the tip - wasn't shooting for any particular style, just something tasty. I think I'll give it a go!

Should I boil the coriander with the orange-peel, or add it straight to the wort?

So, instead, I bought 500g of creamed clover honey ($3NZ), nuked it till runny in the microwave, poured it into the wort and mixed it all about.

OG 1045. Should have a slightly boosted alc content I'm guessing...

Perhaps I should have boiled it. But we shall see. I'm just a beginner, with not much time to spare boiling and mashing. Will report on taste in about 1 month.

Might try honey and citrus next time, but one thing at a time aye.

Thanks for the headsup. I'm not sure what to expect for a final gravity reading, so I'll just watch for when it stands still for 3+ days...

Back