Gluten-Free Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pilkinga

Reaction score
Gluten is a protein found in wheat, barley, rye, oats and various other sources I can't remember at the moment. My wife has a gluten intolerance and therefore cannot drink beer anymore. Its been close to 5 years since she has had a brew. Has anyone ever made any beer with anything besides barley. Is this possible? Neither of us are really cider fans so I am not really looking for something like that. My wife suggested I try buckwheat which does not contain the gluten protein. Has anyone ever tried this? I don't know if there is enough sugars in buckwheat for it to work like regular barley does. Any thoughts would help, as I am determined to make her a tasty beer or beer like beverage she can drink.

Thankyou BeerTracker. This website looks very informative. I will definitly try one of these and post on how it goes.

Just curious, what made you use buckwheat in the first place? and if you don't mind what was your recipe?

Molasses in small quantities (1-2 oz. per gallon) adds a malt-like flavor. It can actually be used as a primary sugar, but plan on 6-12 months of aging.

Back