What's Wrong With My Wife?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thadius856

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Up until a few weeks ago, my wife would watch 4-5 hours of TV a day. It was to the point that she'd get up an hour early (three hours before needing to be at work, a 20 minute drive away) to watch an hour or so of TV. I casually mentioned a couple of times that she watches a lot of TV, and never said anything more, until it impacted things. Then things came to a head...

I woke up one morning and didn't have any clean clothes folded for work. For a normal job, no big deal. But I'm in the military. Not having a clean uniform is a serious offense. That's her chore (to fold and store), I merely collect and wash.

Ever since, she's been helping with the brewing. And at least saying she enjoys it. She even asks me what I need done with my brewery now. Sounds silly, right?

The last three brew days, she's volunteered to empty and rinsed the mash tun. She seemed like she even enjoyed it.

Tonight, she tore down, inventoried, vacuum sealed, and re-organized my entire specialty grain storage area. That's 10 cases of half-gallon mason jars -- somewhere in the range of 126-132 pounds of grain. To boot, she even updated all my grain inventory in BeerSmith, then sorted all of the cases in order of Lovibond.

What's wrong with her? Surely, she can't really enjoy doing all of this. Can she?

Edit: She thinks I wrote that she's a lazy *****. She's not. She works full time and pays the bills. :D And she's actually been helping me brew for 3 months, but why does she find it SO much fun to clean the mash tun?

If I wasn't happily married and she wasn't married to you, I'd devote all of my extra time to get to know her and marry her ;) She sounds like a dream wife.

My wife hates beer and my clean clothes come in a trash bag. "Ironing" involves Downy Wrinkle Release. Don't get the wrong idea, my wife busts her A$$, but if I had a wife that would organize my grain, I wouldn't want to wake up from that dream.

Sleep with one eye open . She is luring you into a false sense of security.

I would also start giving any food she feeds you to the dog FIRST.

It sounds like you left out the most critical part of the story, between...

I woke up one morning and didn't have any clean clothes folded for work. For a normal job, no big deal. But I'm in the military. Not having a clean uniform is a serious offense. That's her chore (to fold and store), I merely collect and wash.

and

Ever since, she's been helping with the brewing. And at least saying she enjoys it. She even asks me what I need done with my brewery now. Sounds silly, right?

Whatever you did in response to the clothes-folding incident seems to have worked like gangbusters. She's either trying really hard to make it up to you..........or scared to death to cross you again

Do you think she ever sees handsome young military boys and rates their tan according to lovibond?
Cause id feel a bit threatened by that. :)

Isn't great when our wives surprise us like that? I mean it is a little unnerving at times, especially when she throws you that first curve ball. My wife is surprisingly supportive of my homebrewing adventures. I was in my LHBS yesterday talking to the owner about kegging and he mentioned his difficulty in finding used soda kegs, and what does she suggest?!?! That we buy some kegging equipment! Needless to say my jaw dropped. That was after she said the grain room smelled great. Maybe its a thing with military women/wives. My wife is a Navy officer.

She still hasn't cleaned any of my equipment yet...

She's cheating on you and feels guilty about it. That or she decided one day to be super wife.

My wife brews by herself sometimes. If I want ironed and folded clothes I do it myself. She irons and folds her clothes. If she cooks I wash the dishes, if I cook she washes the dishes. Its a whole give and get kind of thing we have.

It is simple. She's bored. Anyone who watches 5 hours of TV a day and works full time IS BORED! Maybe she realized she watches too much TV, you or something else got to her about that and she doesn't know what else to do but help you! There are worse wife problems to have, believe me!

My wife brews by herself sometimes. If I want ironed and folded clothes I do it myself. She irons and folds her clothes. If she cooks I wash the dishes, if I cook she washes the dishes. Its a whole give and get kind of thing we have.

Yar. We're the same way. I gather and wash, she folds and stores. I usually do the shopping and loading/unloading, she unpacks it and puts it away.

For cooking, we've been on a wok kick lately. Chopping takes two people five minutes, the wok takes seconds to hit full temperature, the entire meal cooks in about three minutes, and cleanup is two swipes a paper towel, then a blast of canola spray and hang 'er up. Best $80 I've spent in a long time.

It is simple. She's bored. Anyone who watches 5 hours of TV a day and works full time IS BORED! Maybe she realized she watches too much TV, you or something else got to her about that and she doesn't know what else to do but help you! There are worse wife problems to have, believe me!

Trust me, I know what you mean. This isn't my first lap around the track.

Actually, I would say feel lucky, seems you got one of the good ones and she actually does love you. Marriage can get into a funk, as well as our lives. She probably didn't even realize she was watching that much TV, until, like you said, it came to a head. Maybe that popped her out of that funk and she realized it might be better to do something with you than watch TV. I won't be as cynical to say she's doing it for points, but don't forget to do something nice for her, that she might want help with as well.

She might have started helping to make up for the unfolded clothes. She may also feel a lot better about herself and what she's accomplished after helping clean up after brew day and organize brewing supplies. Given a choice between watching TV or doing something that we can be proud of many people will choose to do something that gives them real satisfaction. I notice the same in my family, the kids want to help brew or play outside instead of watch TV if given the choice. If I can't come up with something rewarding enough to do while brewing it's back to the TV. Ultimately they end up helping grind, mash and add hops and let me do the waiting.

Common interests can lead to a stronger relationship, she has taken the first initiative step... time to reciprocate? Pick one of her hobbies and dive right in!

I tried, but she legitimately seems to have no hobbies. None. I keep trying to help her find one, but nothing seems to be sticking.

don't forget to do something nice for her, that she might want help with as well.

We scheduled a deep tissue massage for Friday. It'll be her first professional one evar.

Just for the record, I saw the title of this thread and thought "Oh I am clicking the crap out of that one"

Ask her. My wife keeps saying she doesnt have any hobbies but still refuses to brew with me.

She's doing these genuinely wonderful, affectionate favors for/with you, because she might be trying to prepare her argument(s) for having children.

You're brewing now. You won't be very soon. Like, forty weeks soon.

Back to the first post, do you think your wife is acting strange or are you joking around? Does the house work come last now compared to everything else? Does she sleep for a really short time in a 24hr. period? Anything else weird going on that's not normal about her habits?

Ha, ha, ha! I enjoyed reading all of these crazy explanations of Thad's wife's behavior.

Thad, I think your wife is leading a secret life; she likes to brew! She detests laundry, and cleaning is drudgery.

Next thing you know, she will join www.homebrewtalk.com and begin an anonymous life with an assumed name.

Just in case I am wrong, you should always observe her taste the beer before tasting it yourself.

.......I casually mentioned a couple of times that she watches a lot of TV, and never said anything more, until it impacted things. Then things came to a head...

........The last three brew days, she's volunteered to empty and rinsed the mash tun. She seemed like she even enjoyed it.

Tonight, she tore down, inventoried, vacuum sealed, and re-organized my entire specialty grain storage area. That's 10 cases of half-gallon mason jars -- somewhere in the range of 126-132 pounds of grain. To boot, she even updated all my grain inventory in BeerSmith, then sorted all of the cases in order of Lovibond.........

Maybe it's just me (or the bold print in the above quote), but sounds like someone needs to do more laundry!:D

EDIT: Didn't realize this topic was 4 pages. Maybe it is the Edwort's Apfelwein. I'll know for sure in 4 weeks (got a gallon fermenting now).

Latest posts

Back