lagering fridge problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratface246

Reaction score
Wife bought a new fridge/freezer. I was gifted the old one to put in the garage. She retained use of the freezer for her carnivorous tendencies. I was to be granted the capacious fridge top for lagering. Bought a temperature controller. As instructed, employed the help of a professional to wire it in safely. He tells me that there is only one compressor and it is not possible to independently control the fridge alone.I note that both fridge and freezer have their own on/off switches and therefore must be on separate circuits but able to call on the compressor individually when required by suitable secondary circuits. I am advised by the prof.that purchase of a separate fridge will be necessary. In my pre- retirement profession, it was often a wise precaution to seek a second opinion before proceeding. The presence of numerous pipes at the rear of the machine confirms that it is of the correct type. Can anyone with the relevant experience of such a combination please assist me in giving a definitive answer. Thank you.:confused:

You are wise to do so. granted it is more difficult, but nothing is impossible. There is only one compressor, because the freezer is the only one that uses/controls it. The fridge area only controls a flap and fan that draws cold air from the freezer side (at least in the 99.9999% of residential situations. What controller did you purchase, and what model fridge? Maybe myself or someone else on here can give you an idea how to get where you need to be with what you have.

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''',,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,//'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''501irishred,
Thank you for your supportive response. My temperature controller is a Willhi WH7016G and the fridge /freezer is a Bosch KGU32123GB/01. I am already in possession of a 30amp relay which I had been advised was required for the control circuit

Well unfortunately I cant seem to come up with a schematic diagram for your fridge, so I cant give you the specifics. In general however there are several ways to utilize your controller - 1. gain access to the fan that feeds cold air to the fridge and wire it directly to the controller. 2. gain access to the current temp control for the fridge and wire around it using your controller. Your controller is rated for 5A @ 220V, so you really wont need the relay for just running this fan. If someday you gain access to the entire fridge/freezer you may still need when you buy a second controller to run the compressor as well and create a chamber for loggers as well as ales simultaneously. :)
It may all sound daunting, but just remember that your controller is nothing more than a light switch that happens to be able to turn itself on and off. If this is something you would like to pursue post some pictures of the original control for your fridge and the air passage from fridge side and freezer side. No promises, but may be able to give some direction.

501irishred,
With your advice and some from another section of the forum, it is clear that the quickest way to cut the Gordian knot is to install a separate fridge unit and this is what I'll do when funds permit. Thanks for everyone's help.

LOL, yea it's not just a turn key DIY project, but keep it in mind that it is possible to do if funds aren't presenting themselves as soon as you'd like. While looking around for your cooler, remember to be looking for a single space freezer. This way you'll be able to do what you want with only one controller.
Not to throw a wrench in the works, but what is the min ambient temp of the area you will eventually be keeping your fermentation chamber? The controller you have is a single stage, meaning you would not be able to heat the chamber using the same control. This would only be important if the ambient air gets significantly colder than the temps you plan on fermenting at. I keep mine in the garage where it gets well below freezing in the winter. Just food for thought....

501irishred,
Most of our winters are relatively mild, temperate maritime , around 5-8*c.
Only rarely do we descend to -5 or less if a low brings in cold wind from the Arctic. Thanks for all your advice.

Back