Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oprahs_Warrior

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new and I'm sure this has been asked and that it is a stupid question.

I racked my brew into the secondary bottling bucket. I added the sugar as I did this. I let it sit for 48 hours. The reason I did this is because after fermentation, I noticed a lot of flakes from what I assume were from the grains that got out of the steeping bag. I wanted to let all these settle before..

My question is this, when I added the sugar, I noticed a bit of bubbling in the airlock, was this residual fermentation, or was this the carbonation escaping.

Also when I bottle, will it still carbonate? If not, will adding more sugar make that happen? Or no...

Let me kno!

I also have a question being a first time brewer; I used a kit with two cams of malt and a packet of yeast. It's been 36 hours and no bubbles! There's pressure in fermenter because water in air lock has moved in the right direction. Do I have bad yeast, not enough aeration at pitching yeast and should I add more yeast???? I know the saying to relax but certainly am concerned!

First off, when fermenting, what you see in the airlock is co2. What you are seeing now in the airlock is co2. Those "flakes" will settle in the bottom of the bottle anyway. My understanding of carbonating using sugar may be wrong but, I think you are supposed to go straight to bottling after you add the sugar, adding more sugar would probably cause your bottles to burst. Go ahead and bottle and it will be fine.

I also have a question being a first time brewer; I used a kit with two cams of malt and a packet of yeast. It's been 36 hours and no bubbles! There's pressure in fermenter because water in air lock has moved in the right direction. Do I have bad yeast, not enough aeration at pitching yeast and should I add more yeast???? I know the saying to relax but certainly am concerned!

You probably under pitched your yeast, it will take more time to ferment. Give it 7-11 days and check the gravity to see if fermentation is finished.

If you rack to bottling bucket 2 days ago and it had the priming sugar in it,it has probably fermented the priming sugar by now also. It may carb up any way but I would give it a couple more days to then add the sugar again and bottle right away,no need to let anything settle in bottling bucket.

+1 give it 2-3 days and get some more priming sugar, when ready to bottle gently mix your priming solution (cooled) into your beer and bottle.

Back