What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stirred up what I take to be a stuck fermentation of my West Coast IPA. Studied up on Belgian Pale and Belgian IPA recipes. Plotted the dry hop for next week.

Qhrumphf said:
Cleaned a bunch of bottles, then went to our homebrew club's attempt at a "how to homebrew" class at the local World of Beer, which was of course overshadowed by the Redskins game on and ended up not happening due to a lack of interest. Drank a few beers. Came home. About to clean more bottles. Then bottle my Imperial Red. Then clean more bottles :)

I have too many bottles to clean. Hah.

Srry about the redskins (go gmen) :mug: but i wish i had your problem about having too many bottles to clean. I dont have enough. Trying to get a hold of 60 22oz bottles for 2 different 5gallon batches i have going right now. And i think its about time and pay the ridiculous overcharge of what the stores charge for bottles since i cant get enough recycled ones. If anyone knows of a good spot to order 22's online id appreciate it.

Srry about the redskins (go gmen) :mug: but i wish i had your problem about having too many bottles to clean. I dont have enough. Trying to get a hold of 60 22oz bottles for 2 different 5gallon batches i have going right now. And i think its about time and pay the ridiculous overcharge of what the stores charge for bottles since i cant get enough recycled ones. If anyone knows of a good spot to order 22's online id appreciate it.

That's not the football (or in reality, hand-egg) I care about. DC United clinched a playoff spot, so that's good enough for me ;)

Is there a Queens Freecycle e-mail net? I live in a small town, and even we have one. Just Google it and see. City as big as Queens, it's likely to have thousands of members. People offer stuff up for free, and people ask for stuff for free.

That's how I just got 55 Grolsch pint bottles and about 30 larger Fischer bottles (like Grolsch but larger, maybe 22-24 oz).

I just purchased a 2L, flip-top bottle, and I have to empty it. It will be a very interesting week, and because I bought the beer during the fourth quarter of the Packers/Rams game (which, I'm pleased to note, ended in victory for the Pack), I can't use the old Wisconsin excuse of "Drinking during a Packers game" to break into it.

I'm about to hit the NordicTrack, and then draw off a pint.

It will be a very interesting week, and because I bought the beer during the fourth quarter of the Packers/Rams game (which, I'm pleased to note, ended in victory for the Pack), I can't use the old Wisconsin excuse of "Drinking during a Packers game" to break into it.

Yeah baby! I was born in LaCrosse during the Lombardi era. Go Pack!!!! :mug:

-Dry hopped my first IIPA attempt,
-Disassembled and refurbished/cleaned 3 old kegs that I bought from our local soda supplier
-Re-calibrated the sight-tube on my 60L pot and newest 6gal better bottle with a gram scale... its' been a long day.

First time responding to this thread... Today I bought a keggle for the first time. I'm psyched to do ten gal. batches.

Yesterday did my first dry hops on an American Amber Ale that is in the keg. I bagged 1oz of Citra and dumped it into the keg.

Had a busy weekend - cleaned 100 bottles, my new BIAB bag and new hop strainer. Then I bottled my nut brown ale and apple Brown Betty ale (I also started on labels for those two beers.). Made an unexpected stop at the LHBS today and got my grain bill, hops and yeast for my batch of RIS I'll be brewing this week along with a Tuscan Merlot kit which I mixed and hooked up to a blow-off tube. After cleaning up from all that I racked open a Oak Jacked Imperial Pumpkin Ale that was a nice end to the evening!

Bought the ingredients for my first recipe I came up with myself (a California Common). Was going to brew it today, but my assistant brewmaster was under the weather, so we'll wait until next weekend.

Made a label for my just-bottled batch, have to work on getting the registration right so they print correctly on the label stock I have.

NMBLabel.jpg

hooked up a new manifold for the kegerator (finally got rid of the tees after several years), ran new co2 lines, and cleaned my kegs

Brewed an American Amber Ale. I didn't hit the gravity of 1.060 that was expected and I think that is above what i can get with my BIAB method with my equipment. There just isn't enough space for the extra grain and it basically gets wasted.

Put away the nice clean bottles I slaved over yesterday to get clean & onto the bottle tree. Th hop & grain sacks I'd been soaking in PBW for a week got rinsed,wrung out & hung to dry. Now I gotta go through a mountain of craft beer 12 pack boxes I don't need to clear out the ol' man cave some more. Got some with clean bottles still with labels if somebody wants to come get'em. Was gunaa flatten out the boxes to recycle that I don't need for smoker wood,car chemicals,etc. Gotta steam clean a chair I have in here that'll go in the living room. I want 1 or 2 sets of those keg chairs & tables to put in here with french doors & a HD monitor on the wall. Thought to connect it to the computer for movies & youtrub videos while we drink beers from the fridge I want in here. Not to mention a cabinet for my glasses.
It's gunna happen one job at a time...

Did some shopping on my LHBS' website for a PM brown ale, and maybe the ingredients for a PM Bitburger clone. I also stared at my empty fermenters, wishing I had something in them.

Dry hopped an IPA and inventoried and weighed out ingredients for a robust porter I am going to brew in a day or so.

Got home later than I wanted, but I'm now finally working on the starter for the saison I'm brewing on Friday.

Went to the LHBS to pick up some DME I forgot to get over the weekend (doh!) Then tore an old PC apart and after a trip to the shack, built a stir plate. Finally, mixed up a 2L starter for WLP002 that will go into the RIS I'm brewing this weekend.

All in all, a pretty great day! :rockin:

Dry hopped my west coast ipa in primary. Forgot I wanted to wash the yeast, so will just have to clean the yeast a bit more.

Peeked into my ferm chamber. Whew. Wore me out. Now I'm going to my Brew Club's monthly happy hour to refresh.

Picked up the grains to brew Arrogant Bastard and Two Hearted clones this weekend.

made it down to austin homebrew and got a brewmometer for my hlt (finally) and some other parts and pieces. now attacking a 12 of widmer's variety pack

Yesterday but converted a closet into my new beer cave. That'll keep the kettles and tuns out if the lounge and keep the gf happier which = more beer and brewdays. Was pleased to fit everything in with room for 3 fermentor, can't wait for my first all grain next week. Going for the Belgian slut ipa recipe on the forum. Fingers crossed it'll go well.

Brewed the second beer in my Fellowship of the Rings cycle, a Dusseldorf Altbier named Aragorn the Dunedain.

Kegged a dunkelwiezen for a Halloween party Friday night.

Made a starter to try and culture some wild yeasts and bacteria from some chunks of a Russian River Consecration barrel.

Got my yeast starter started for my first 10 gallon batch on my herms system.. It is either going to be a great day or a painful one.

I went into my ceramics class (community college), and threw a whole bunch of really nice tall mugs, that I plan on selling at the student art sale.(raising funds for my homebrew hobby). Im gonna keep some to fill with my home brew because they look awesome. Im stoked! Next time, in class, I'm gonna make a bunch of small taster glasses.

Got mt TC-9102D temperature controller in the mail... now just waiting to find a score on a chest freezer on craigslist!

Brewed up a saison with my father in law, who is responsible for me getting into homebrewing. Shared a variety of brews with my FIL and MIL. Saved some 05 after I racked my amber ale onto roasted apples and cinnamon.

Kegged a falconer's flight/palisades pale ale, used BCB Haus Pale as the base. Trying to use up the 2011 hops and freeing up another fermenter for a 2 brew weekend.

roasted some two row for imp pumpkin ale, prepped and got second step of starter on stir plate, moved barleywine to secondary over scotch and bourbon soaked oak chips, washed WLP099 and got three jars worth.

Potentially infected my barrel with Brettanomyces on a drunken whim. We placed bets if the bottle dregs will take.

a few days ago i was lucky enough to get some free beer. i thought i would be smart and back into the garage so i would not have to carry several cases. I called and asked the wife to move her van so i could back up as close as possible. long story short, i put the truck in what i thought was park and jumped out to move the trash can out of her way. as i shut the door the damn thing went into reverse and started backing toward my neighbors car. in an effort to save the car i tried to get back in the truck, which lucky for me had locked its self since it was in gear. i fell and a after only damaging the front quarter panel and door of the neighbors rig, managed to stop the truck with my ankle. yes i fell and my ankle acted as a block on the tire. then my wife had to go inside, search for the extra keys and then unlock and drive the truck off me. after a visit to the ER and being placed in a cast and on crutches, i feel that i deserve a beer! but they gave me an antibiotic to reduce the chance of an infection so i cannot even do that! FML

Back