Can you Brew It recipe for Stone Arrogant Bastard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nonetheless, I think C-150 is our winner here.

I tried making it with special B and it just wasnt it. Brew tasted great but was not A.B.

Happy brewing to ya all.

The tour was cool but the prices at the restaraunt were out of this world. We ordered the smelly cheese plate and what we got is not what we thought we'd get. A few pieces of cheese and a 1/4 sliced apple. Next time I'll take a pack of crackers or a Cliff bar.

The tour was cool but the prices at the restaraunt were out of this world. We ordered the smelly cheese plate and what we got is not what we thought we'd get. A few pieces of cheese and a 1/4 sliced apple. Next time I'll take a pack of crackers or a Cliff bar.

15 and 1/2 according to their menu, that's about what I'd expect to pay at an organic/local/seasonal place for four different cheeses, fruit and bread they baked in house. Since they're aiming for high end bistro food and then also tagging on all those buzzwords the prices are pretty reasonable, normal price+5 dollars is about right.

A few pieces of cheese and a 1/4 sliced apple. Next time I'll take a pack of crackers or a Cliff bar.
Been there done that, with similar and large disappointment. It really is a tasting of some high grade cheeses, but I'm not a cheese connoisseur.

It was interesting tasting the cheeses, and the flatbreads it came with were great. I was just wanting a little more to enjoy with the beer while waiting for some seating. Their pretezels are DARNED good though!

Gotta love their phrase, which may be true in my case on the cheese. "It's not too expensive, you're just too cheap." I'll take it if the shoe fits, and wear it proudly, but it brings up a phrase from me as well. "Just too stupid, and willing to pay without thinking much." I should have been more arrogant....... and sent it back :) ... or maybe have asked when the cheese was going to arrive since I was done with the samples and ready to have some that I had liked most :) .... and don't be so cheap on the bread sticks to go with it either now ya bastids! :)

And I suppose I would rather fill up on the beer rather then cheese too.

Isn't special B 300L? I would think it would darken the beer and add a fruity(raisin) flavor? I think it would be a good addition. I'm brewing ten gal today with Chocolate and spec. b. I'll let you know how she turns out.

What is the purpose of a ten minute mash at 168 degrees?

From How To Brew:

What is Mashout?

Before the sweet wort is drained from the mash and the grain is rinsed (sparged) of the residual sugars, many brewers perform a mashout. Mashout is the term for raising the temperature of the mash to 170°F prior to lautering. This step stops all of the enzyme action (preserving your fermentable sugar profile) and makes the grainbed and wort more fluid. For most mashes with a ratio of 1.5-2 quarts of water per pound of grain, the mashout is not needed. The grainbed will be loose enough to flow well. For a thicker mash, or a mash composed of more than 25% of wheat or oats, a mashout may be needed to prevent a Set Mash/Stuck Sparge. This is when the grain bed plugs up and no liquid will flow through it. A mashout helps prevent this by making the sugars more fluid; like the difference between warm and cold honey. The mashout step can be done using external heat or by adding hot water according to the multi-rest infusion calculations. (See chapter 16.) A lot of homebrewers tend to skip the mashout step for most mashes with no consequences.

Brewing my final brew for the month of April on the 30th. The recipe isn't exactly A.B but it sure as hell will taste like it. It more like an imperial amber, I can post the recipe if anyone is interested. Using so dark crystals and some Special B. Chinook will go in it along with some Amarillo... Oh yeah, this one is gonna be a good one...

Happy brewing to ya all!

johnnytaco said:
Isn't special B 300L? I would think it would darken the beer and add a fruity(raisin) flavor? I think it would be a good addition. I'm brewing ten gal today with Chocolate and spec. b. I'll let you know how she turns out.

The average lovibond for Special B looks to be around 150L.

Yeah it is. I constantly purchase Castle for Special B though, I do not mix maltsters it screws with my BS numbers. Good info on Dingemans though, i am sure many here use it.

Happy brewing !

So the question to ask is: those who brewed the recipe using Special B, how close did you think it was to the actual product, and what maltster of Special B did you use?

So the question to ask is: those who brewed the recipe using Special B, how close did you think it was to the actual product, and what maltster of Special B did you use?

I used Castle Special B (115 L) and Chinook single hopped.

The brew was really amazing but not A.B. I think with a little more Chinook (aim for 100 IBUs and you should be good) it would have come out closer to hte real deal. Also let me mention a recent experience. We drink a Stone brew either clone or actual or both, during the Game of Thrones show every Sunday night. This Sunday we had an old bottle of A.B and the Special B A.B clone I made. Let me say that this brew is much more about the Chinook than we think. The Clone tasted much more like A.B than the old bottle of A.B which actually tasted like a big amber ale.

I am making A.B again this coming fall (or before ;)).
I am making 3 recipes in 2 days time. For me personally this is very time consuming but well worth it. I will testing recipes 3 with:
i) Special B or ii) C-150 or iii) Extra Dark Crystal.

Same yeast, same hop schedule same IBUs.

I am hoping that at least one of them is the real deal. At any rate, I am left with a lot of ... AB Clone brew! I ll take it.

Happy brewing to ya all.

Sure, I'm interested. Double Bastard is awesome in itself. I was lucky enough to have some @ the Stone Brewery during our Spring break trip this year.

Any news on the Double Bastard?

Oops sorry mate, forgot about it!

Ok, here is what I got for ya:

Double Bastard I:

82% 2 ROW
11% C-120
5 % CARAPILS
2 % CHOCOLATE MALT

CHINOOK 90 MIN
CHINOOK 60 MIN
CHINOOK 30 MIN
CHINOOK 15 MIN
CHINOOK F/O
CHINOOK D/H 7 DAYS.
OAK CHIPS D/H 7 DAYS.
You can use US-05 to take this beast down a notch but if you do, make sure to mash high, like 154-156.

Double Bastard II:

2 ROW 83%
SPECIAL B 7.5%
CARAVIENNE 5%
BISCUIT 4.5%

CHINOOK (AS ABOVE)
OAK CHIPS AS ABOVE
YEAST AS ABOVE.
MASH AS ABOVE.

Quite honestly, I would make a double bastard by adding some Carafa Special III to a solid A.B. clone and then increase the IBUs to over 110. I would prob mash lower, like 150 but use S-04 but then again I havent done it so its just an idea.

Happy Brewing, good luck to ya and let me know if this helped.

After following this thread for a while, and listening to as many different things about AB as possible I came up with this recipe. I brewed it about a month and a half ago and just tasted it today for the first time after 3 week primary and 3 weeks in the bottle. I have to brag a little and say that it is extremely close to the original and the biggest difference was that my version tasted fresher in terms of hop character, which makes sense. I know I broke from the trend of 90%/10%, but with all the information I remember taking in about this, one of the Stone brewers said in an interview that he believed the best way for a homebrewer to clone AB would be a combination of a few different malts and at least 2 hops.

In all reality, it is very possible that Stone goes with the 90/10 mold and comes out with what we know is AB, but in order for us homebrewers to replicate AB, we might have to do something slightly different to end up with the same result.

The color was spot on. The malt character in my opinion was identical. The biggest difference was the fresher hop character.

5 gallon batch.
13.75 lbs 2 Row
.12 lbs Chocolate Malt
.62 lbs Crystal 150L
.62 lbs Special B
Mash at 150 to help dry it out a little.

1.88 oz Chinook @60 min
1.25 oz Chinook @15min
1.25 oz Centennial @15 min
.62 oz Chinook @1 min

WLP 007 for 3 week primary

OG- 1.081
FG- 1.019
ABV- 8.1%
IBU- 100
Color- 22 degrees L

I brewed this yesterday, following the rebrew #2 recipe. I hit OG exaclty at 1.066. My Chinook's were 11.4 to I used the full ounce instead of a partial ounce. It is hoppy and tastes great already.

It is happily chilling right now @ 69 with a slurry of WLP007.

Has anyone oaked their Arrogant Bastard? If so, share your process.

What is the typical fermentation time for this?

My first attempt at this turned out really well and everyone who tried it loved it. Not sure if it was the same taste as AB, but to tell you the truth I have had AB many times and it really varies in taste with age and delivery method. When I was at the Stone brewery a couple of times, I had it at the bar and got a growler. You would think they would be the exact same but the growler was noticeably sweeter and the bar was much hoppier...and that was AT STONE! And believe me, it did not sit in the growler long. Probably no more than 2 hours before I opened that up for a glass or two...Anyhow, I have bought bottles of it as well that were either maltier or hoppier so cloning this is a moving target. All I care about is getting something close to this delicious beverage and I have with my first attempt. Deltas from the tasty brew were I used Northern Brewer (1 oz @ 90, 1 oz @60) and Columbus (1 oz at 30 and another at 10) and I used C120 at about 7%. It was a fabulous beer and I am down to a few glasses in the keg and two growlers left. Sooooo, I am brewing it again today, mashing out as I type. Today's attempt changes both the malt and the hops a bit. I went with all Columbus as I like it better than Chinook or NB, and I changed my malt lineup to about 6.5% Special B and 3.5% British Crystal 135/165L. I'll let you know how it turns out in 6 weeks, but I am sure it is going to be good!! Cheers!

I'm struggling my way through all 51 pages and can't seem to disseminate a 'final' recipe #2. Anyone have it with grains in total # for a 6.5 gallon batch?

Here's mine.

It is damned tasty!

-----------------------------

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Arrogant Bastard CYBI # 2 6G
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.25 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.24 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 6.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.066 SG
Estimated Color: 22.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 101.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
13 lbs 13.8 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 90.0 %
1 lbs 8.7 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 2 10.0 %
0.83 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 85.0 min Hop 3 43.3 IBUs
0.83 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 4 38.9 IBUs
0.83 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 5 11.6 IBUs
0.83 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 6 7.2 IBUs
1.0 pkg Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) [35 Yeast 7 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 15 lbs 6.5 oz

Anyone who has brewed this before, and have been listening to the podcasts (including the latest at NHC), have any recommendations for a fella like me? I have put this brew off for about a year now and it looks like their latest attempt was farther away, with jamil stating to go back to special B only rather than crystal 150..

Thanks for any input.

I was told by a brewmaster at one of the San Diego brewery's that it is not special b. my assumption is it is a crystal malt, either a special made roast, or a blend of one or two crystals. I know the rumor was that AB was started as a experiment of a single specialty malt and single hop beer, but I believe that the key word that matters is 'started', I find that if so many brewers can't figure the recipe out, it I likely not as simple as it once was. Just my thought.

On that note, go with TBN #2 attempt recipe, and you will get close, don't forget to adapt the recipe to your system, and if your doing extract, adjust for your boil volume and hop utilization. I did an extract on this recipe with a 3.5 gallon boil and it was no where near the hops that AB has.

When I did mine, it was real similar to post #510, except I used 1oz hops at each point, and used London Ale yeast. It was HOPPY, but still turned out great.
Water adjustments were for the Brown Bitter profile from Bru'n Water spreadsheet.
I liked it better than the AB we can get around here, which is bottles only of various ages.

KaSaBiS said:
Anyone who has brewed this before, and have been listening to the podcasts (including the latest at NHC), have any recommendations for a fella like me? I have put this brew off for about a year now and it looks like their latest attempt was farther away, with jamil stating to go back to special B only rather than crystal 150..

Thanks for any input.

Stone is probably just messing with us. Recipes can change slightly.

I made 10% special b/90% 2 row with an ounce of chinook at first wort, 45', 15', flame out, and 10' post boil (then did ice bath, 5.5 gal batch). It was REALLY good. I can rarely get stone AB so you tell me if it's close but jamil seems to think its close and if you disagree you still have a great beer!

I just brewed this the past weekend. Wow! I did the 90% 2-Row and 10% Special B. I used a 2.5 liter starter and it took off. My SG was 1.072. The smell and taste was, I think, so close to what AB tastes like. Of course I'll have to wait and see what fermentation does, but If it goes how I think it will, it will be darn good beer!

Mine (90% 2-Row and 10% Special B) was somewhat close but the hop flavor and aroma is not there. It's a good brew but not quite a clone.

Rusty - how is the ho profile?

I think pretty good. I used 1oz instead of the 24 grams (about .85 oz.), all Chinook, and whirlpooled for the flameout. I'm hoping that adding a touch more will cause it to mellow into AB's profile. We'll see...

Alright! This brew is in the keg and has been carbing up now for two weeks. FG was 1.015 which ended at 7.5%. I had my first pint last night. I'm very pleased how it turned out. As a matter of fact, I think I'm going to enter it in an upcoming competition, at least for the feedback. The flavor of the Special B stood out and was very tasty. I don't think it needs another grain like the C150 thats been mentioned. The hoppiness wasn't
"in your face" like a really good IPA but the bitterness was and that's what I recall about AB. I liked the balance. I'm going to buy a AB tonight and taste side by side. I like this so much I'm about to brew another batch. I dont even think I'm going to do anything different unless the hop profile in the real AB is more defined.

I know that Arrogant Bastard, according to BJCP guidelines is included as an example of Cat23A, Specialty Beer. I'm trying to match up a base style (if there is one). I would almost consider it an American Strong Ale, but that's not a BJCP style. Anybody (judges?) have any advice or direction to give me on that?

I'll go back and listen to it again. I think you're right though. I looked up Old Ale on the BJCP and that makes sense. Especially with the Special B giving it that nice "raiseny" flavor. Thanks for the input!

Back