Storing opened LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlyday

Reaction score
My LHBS has 33lb Containers of LME, at quite a cost savings to buying kits or the 3.3 lb canisters. How well would the opened stuff do in a refridgerator. For me that would last about 6 months (around 5-6 batches).

Probably do better in the refrigerator but mines always full so I just leave mine in my brew closet. I've also heard that you should put in some vodka/alcohol to make a thin layer over the top to help protect from mold.

YOu can store it for a while, but it is easily contaminated. As soon as you pour a quanity out. Clean it( the top), spray with starsan, and stick it in the freezer.

you may want to ask your LHBS what they recommend. If you have the ability I would suggest to break it down in usable quantities so you are handling it only once and not repeatedly.

There is a chance you could freeze it maybe? I have not done it but some people freeze their wort and this is more or less concentrated wort.....

I was wondering how it would do in the freezer. I could repack in into smaller jars that way.

I dont even know how canning works for veggies, but could I use mason jars and 'can' it.

I was wondering how it would do in the freezer. I could repack in into smaller jars that way.

I dont even know how canning works for veggies, but could I use mason jars and 'can' it.

If you put it in the jars make sure you leave room for expansion while it freezes since there is a high water content:)

Back