refrigerate white labs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonClayton

Reaction score
I just received my order from AHS, this will by my first time using white labs yeast. I plan to brew saturday should i stick the yeast in the fridge until then or will it be ok in a 68 degree house?

Keep it in the fridge. Take it out at the start of your brew day to get it back to room temp before you pitch it.

Boiling the wort before pitching the yeast is normal, but you said you were boiling the starter (i.e. after pitching the yeast).

-a.

So?? Boiling up a starter? Boiling down a starter? Boiling over a starter? :D

Anyway, it's boiled cooled and pitched now.

Thanks for all the great info. I'd like to make a starter tonight, however I do not have any DME on hand. I do have 7lbs of LME that came with the AHS kit, would it hurt my final product if I took a little of the LME to make a starter?

If not, what LME/water ratio would I use for a vial of white labs?

I do have 2 lbs of dextrose on hand, could I use that and make "sugar water" for a starter?

this is my second experiment with liquid yeast, first time using a vial (last was a smack pack), so I am still learning :)

Next time you order, purchase some extra light DME to keep on hand for making starters. Your yeast will love you for it!

Back