Connecting Immersion Chiller to Faucet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natmartin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm having a lot of trouble setting up my homebuilt immersion chiller.

My local hardware store didn't have a long enough piece of 3/8" OD copper tubing, so I went with a 1/4" OD ice maker kit. I've got the copper formed into a coil without too much crimping, and I've got some 1/4" ID / 3/8" OD plastic tubing which fits over the copper nicely, and now I'm trying to connect the plastic tubing to my kitchen faucet.

Unfortunately, I've struck out at every hardware store I've gone to. No one has been able to help me figure out what adapters/fittings I need.

So, do any of you fine homebrewers know what fittings I need to connect a standard kitchen faucet to 3/8" OD plastic tubing so that I can use my fancy immersion cooler?

I'd go with garden hose fittings on the vinyl tube (secured with a hose clamp), and connect that to your faucet (with the aerator removed) via a hose thread adapter.

There may be better ways, but that's how mine is set up.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any adapters that would connect the garden hose fitting to the vinyl tubing. Do you know what that adapter is called?

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any adapters that would connect the garden hose fitting to the vinyl tubing. Do you know what that adapter is called?

Female garden hose thread barb - looks something like this:

big%5Chosebarb_fghtx.jpg

Great, thanks!

I'll look for that at my local Ace. Home Depot had the garden hose side, but the only barbed adapter they had was either too big or too small, and the guy there told me they didn't carry one in the size I needed.

1569_pd494682_1.gif

this is what you need. I think HD and Lowe's have them. I got mine at Ace/Tru Value.

I picked up that adapter and it fits my kitchen faucet with the aerator removed. There's a little bit of a leak when I hook the short piece of hose up to my wort chiller. Did you use teflon tape on the threads on the faucet side? I'm afraid of overtightening it in the faucet so I'm going hand-tight. I think that small drip will reduce the cooling effects somewhat.

natmartin said:
Great, thanks!

I'll look for that at my local Ace. Home Depot had the garden hose side, but the only barbed adapter they had was either too big or too small, and the guy there told me they didn't carry one in the size I needed.

You may have to use 2 prices. First find a garden hose to pipe thread price, lowes has several choices. Then find a bard with the mating pipe thread. Worst case you you might need a reduction fitting in between.

Back