First All Grain - Ended up with too much wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewinHog

Reaction score
I did my first AG today and everything went great. I brewed BM's Centennial Blonde. The only problem was i ended up with probably a little over 6 gallons of wort instead of 5. I used beersmith for the water calculations. One reason could be that my propane tank started to run low and the boil wasn't as rolling in the end as it was in the first 30-40 minutes. I ended up with an OG of 1.031. Beersmith had me use over 9 gallons of water for a 5 gallon recipe. Is this normal? Is there a better program than beersmith for predicting how much water to use?

Thanks for the help! :ban:

9 gallons is pretty standard for a 5 gallon batch. You should find you are boiling off anywhere from 1.4-1.6 gallons/hour. I do 90 minute boils and start at 7.4 gallons, leaving me with 5.3 gal after the boil, putting 5.0 in the fermentor.

That is about right. You may have to increase your boil time to get to your target volume, but I don't think BeerSmith will lead you wrong.
It is a great program.

Start with 9, collect almost 7 gallons for a 60 minute boil and you will be close to 5 going in the fermentor.

Oh no no... I flew out of LGA at 6am, out of IAD at about 8:30am, out of IND at 10:30am and out of ORD at 12:40pm (eastern) and returned home here to IND. I am off for a couple days now!

I worked a two day week... every flight was 5-10 early off the gate, and arrived 15-30 minutes early. It was a good time.

I worked a two day week... every flight was 5-10 early off the gate, and arrived 15-30 minutes early. It was a good time.

Well, after hearing that I am sure that I have never flown with you. Seems like every one of mine are at least 5 minutes late!
Of course, I am still breathing, so no complaints here. Keep up the good work.

That is just how I roll...

I HATE being late, and the earlierI get there, the more time I have to sit and eat lunch or dinner!

Latest posts

Back