Grain Bag for Wines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beala

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a quick question. I was wondering what kind of grain bag I should order if I want to start making country wines a la Jack Keller. From his website, he only specifies that I should have a "nylon straining bag." AustinHomeBrew has quite a few:
Austin Homebrew Supply

Any suggestions? Thanks!

I like the "better" mesh bags. They seem to work better at holding the fruit gloop and seeds than the cheesecloth ones. Then, you rinse them out, and throw them in with the laundry. I still have some from a few years ago- they last a long time.

Hmm ok so a nylon bag with a fine mesh? About what size do you recommend? I'll probably be doing 1-3 gal batches. Does a 10" x 23" bag sound big enough? Thanks!

EDIT: Wait is a "Better Mesh Bag" a specific brand of bag? Like a "Better Bottle"?

Dunno - I never really ordered a specific size before. Lately I've been going to the local Lowe's clone and buying the mesh bags in a 3-pack from the paint section. They have an elastic band so I can stretch it around the top of the primary to fill. Makes it easier that way.

Hmm ok so a nylon bag with a fine mesh? About what size do you recommend? I'll probably be doing 1-3 gal batches. Does a 10" x 23" bag sound big enough? Thanks!

EDIT: Wait is a "Better Mesh Bag" a specific brand of bag? Like a "Better Bottle"?

No, that's just my way of distinguishing a cheap thin grain bag from a better quality (slightly more expensive) mesh bag.

I don't know about size- I think I have large, extra large, etc. I like the extra large, so it can fit over my primary bucket.

You can make smaller batches of wine in big bags, but not the other way around. The jumbo coarse bag is probably your best bet.

Dunno - I never really ordered a specific size before. Lately I've been going to the local Lowe's clone and buying the mesh bags in a 3-pack from the paint section. They have an elastic band so I can stretch it around the top of the primary to fill. Makes it easier that way.

this is what I would recommend for a three gallon batch. one gallon. no way.

Back