Input on Cascade and Willamette IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loetz

Reaction score
Hey, I'm looking for some input on an IPA recipe that I'm putting together. I'm wondering if I'm using a bit too large of portions in those later additions. I have only these hops on hand, so please do not suggest any substitutions. I'm mostly wondering about the portions and timings.

For a 46L(12gal) batch with 1.070SG and 40IBU
14kg/30lbs Pale (93%)
1kg/2.2lbs Cara40 (7%)
50g/1.7oz Whole Leaf Target (60min)
70g/2.4oz Whole Leaf Willamette (20min)
20g/0.7oz Pellet Cascade (20min)
30g/1oz Pellet Cascade (5min)
30g/1oz Pellet Cascade (0min)
US-05

Thanks for the help!

I'd split up the willamette hops a bit. I'd also cut the crystal malt, if you can. You need more hops, really, for an IPA, so I'd use more if you have them available. The one ounce hops additions really need to be doubled late in the boil. Forty IBUs isn't enough for an IPA, either, especially with an OG of 1.070. You really need to boost that up to about 55-60 IBUs to have a balanced beer.

If you don't have more cascade and willamette, I'd do this:

Pale (96%)
Cara40 (4%)
Target (60min) (to 40 IBUs just with this addition!)
1 oz cascade (20min)
1 oz willamette (10 min)
1 oz cascade (5 min)
1.4 oz willamette (0 min)
.7 oz cascade (0 min)

Dryhop with willamette/cascade as well.

For a 12 gallon batch, that is not enough hops. Not sure you get full benefit from the Willamette being a 20 minute addition.

Either up the hops, or reduce the batch size.

I'll have 3.5oz of Cascade (pellets), 2.4oz of Target (leaf) and 2.4oz of Willamette (leaf) to use in this recipe.

Should I consider trimming back the grain bill and making it more of a pale ale instead of an IPA? What would be a good original gravity?

What about this for a 12 gallon pale ale? It comes out to be 40IBU and 1.054OG.

11kg/24lbs Pale (96%)
.5kg/1lb Cara40(4%)
50g/1.7oz Target (60min)
35g/1.2oz Cascade (20min)
30g/1oz Willamette (10min)
35g/1.2oz Cascade (5min)
40g/1.4oz Willamette (0min)
30g/1oz Cascade (0min)
US05

I could still throw another .7oz of target in there if you guys think it's needed, but I don't want it to be too harsh.

Push the 20 min Cascade to 15, or dry hop with it, and balance any IBU loss with some additional Target at 60.

It's only 0.7 ozs Target, and a 12 gallon batch. I think I'd toss it in anyway rather than keeping that small amount.

Ok, so it ends up that I have a lot more hops than I thought. Either way I'd now like to do a pale ale using the malts in my previous post. Now that we know that I have more hops, should I still use more or is that schedule ok?

Back