Great Taste of the Midwest Pics, Program Book

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We went to the Great Taste of the Midwest festival in Madison last weekend - it was outstanding. I shared some photos, a brief write-up and a link to the program book on our blog at http://www.singingboysbrewing.com/The-Blog.html

hugh_at_goose_island_s_bourbon_county_stout_blending__450x338_-56138.jpg

If you went to the festival, feel free to share some of the memorable beers in the comments.

I wish we had something like this nearer to me than the middle of Cleveland somewhere. I don't like being some 50 miles from home & have to drive home buzzed with that sneaky Cleveland lot.

One of the most memorable beers for me at the festival was from a brewery I hadn't heard of before, Toppling Goliath, which is a small brewery in Iowa. They had brought a real ale/cask ale that they called a "Double Dry Hopped IPA". It is probably the freshest beer I've ever had. When the server poured the beer, maybe ten feet away from me, I could smell the hops. It was bursting with a juicy, citrusy blast of aroma. Outstanding!

That sounds awesome!

Bob and I have been talking about going "sometime". This summer was far too busy, but maybe we'll try the ticket lottery next summer.

Bob and I will check out your blog for more details!

I understand the lottery is a long-shot, like 1 out of 10. But they seem to distribute/sell a lot of tickets through clubs. Perhaps someone who knows more about it can pipe in. I got my tickets through our club, first-come/first-served and a limit of two tickets per member. Assuming the club gets tickets next year, Nancy and I are both members, so we could each ask for two tickets - if you and Bob would like to go with us.

It was a beautiful day, just gorgeous. To get from the hotel to the festival, we walked around Lake Menona, very pretty. After the festival, there are a number of little restaurants with outdoor seating around the capital square, Hugh and I ate at an Italian place called Francesca's, sitting outside while the sun was going down, facing the capital buidling and square, it was very picturesque.

I understand the lottery is a long-shot, like 1 out of 10. But they seem to distribute/sell a lot of tickets through clubs. Perhaps someone who knows more about it can pipe in. I got my tickets through our club, first-come/first-served and a limit of two tickets per member. Assuming the club gets tickets next year, Nancy and I are both members, so we could each ask for two tickets - if you and Bob would like to go with us.

It was a beautiful day, just gorgeous. To get from the hotel to the festival, we walked around Lake Menona, very pretty. After the festival, there are a number of little restaurants with outdoor seating around the capital square, Hugh and I ate at an Italian place called Francesca's, sitting outside while the sun was going down, facing the capital buidling and square, it was very picturesque.

We just might take you up on that, if you can get tickets! It sounds like a great time. We've been talking about a visit to Madison for a long time, as there are places we'd like to visit (Vintage Brewing) and friends there.

I will definitely put this in the "file away for May" part of my brain to remember. (It's May when the tickets are available, I believe?)

Back