lager to ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAZ

Reaction score
Has anybody used an ale yeast in a lager recipe? Reason I ask is a friend of mine loves Haufbrau and wants me to brew a batch, but I don't have the means to do a lager. Any suggestions?

Thanks
RAZ

I've gone the other way, used a lager yeast in an American Amber recipe. I ended up with a beer that tastes very good and actually fits rather well into the Vienna/Marzen style.

If you want to make a lager without lagering you're probably going to want to use steam beer or kolsch yeast, those two will give you a type of beer closer to what you're shooting for (Haufbrau). Probably the Kolsch will be closer, but don't leave out the cold conditioning step, it's an important one.

I think you may get a similar but different beer by brewing a lager with a clean Ale yeast and keeping your temps at the low end of the range. I think Brewers Best kits including their Bock use Nottingham dry yeast. Another option might be Safale US-05, Wyeast 1056 or WLP001.

I havn't tried it as I'm not a big fan of lagers and there are plenty of ales to make first. :)
Craig

Back