16 Hours - Still no signs of fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yournotpeter

Reaction score
So I brewed a 1.081 OG Weizenbock with WLP300 (Hefeweizen) - based upon the Weizenbock recipe in Jamil's Brewing Classic Styles. MrMalty called for the equivalent of 3 vials. So I had made up my starter as usual, but when I took it out of the fridge to decant, I had every reason to believe I had gotten an infection and was really, really leery about pitching it and ruining a batch. I decided to quickly run to my LHBS and pick up what they had, which was only 2 vials. I oxygenated the wort thoroughly and then dumped the two vials and placed it in my fermentation fridge at 62 (per the recipe).

Well, here we are 16 hours later and I have NO activity. This being the first beer I've done without a starter in a long time, I just don't remember if this is normal or should I be worried. Would anyone possibly recommend increasing the temp to room temp to get the yeast active and then bringing back down to 62?

16 is less than 72 hours, last I checked. Just give it some more time. because you didn't use a starter, lag time IS expected.

Relax :mug:

Thanks, Revvy...I've just had such incredible success with starters and quick, violent fermentation that I just feel incomplete right now... :fro:

Just remember how many brewers (usually new) brew beer without making ANY starters, and often pitch only one tube of yeast, and their beer manages to turn out (though prolly not as cleanly as we know is possible.)

You at least pitched two. So you doubled the odds anyway.

:mug:

Yeah, I second revvy. You'll be just fine. I had a some batches that took 3 days to start going, but once they did, they really took off.

Just give it some more time. because you didn't use a starter, lag time IS expected.

Relax :mug:

72 hours and NO signs of fermentation. NO bubbling in the airlock or any visible activity in the carboy. I just can't believe that I pitched 2 vials and I've got no signs of anything. Any ideas?

Do you think the lag time has anything to do with the fact that I'm at 62 degrees?

Yes

WLP300 Hefeweizen Ale Yeast
This famous German yeast is a strain used in the production of traditional, authentic wheat beers. It produces the banana and clove nose traditionally associated with German wheat beers and leaves the desired cloudy look of traditional German wheat beers.
Attenuation: 72-76%
Flocculation: Low
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 68-72°F

Just took a gravity - it hasn't budged. I can't imagine what the heck is going on.

was the yeast healthy, I thought I read you didn't do a starter and just did 2 vials. While you are increasing your cell count you are not checking the viability of the yeast by not doing a starter.

What is the date on the yeast?

oh just saw the 62, that is a bit cold for this yeast, you need to wake them up.

was the yeast healthy,
oh just saw the 62, that is a bit cold for this yeast, you need to wake them up.

Both vials had expire dates of Nov 3, so I'm OK there....

I just raised the temperature to 71 to wake up the yeast...so we'll see what happens.

I had used this yeast twice before (but were able to make some really nice starters) and they fermented beautifully at 62 (again, per Jamil's recipe and advice). They were some great hefe's. But I'm assuming that because I didn't make the starter, the yeast were a bit dormant, and the 62 is just too darn cold for dormant yeast. OK for active/starter-ed yeast, but too low for straight out of the vial.

Hopefully 3 days of that sweet wort just sitting waiting for the yeast to do their thing isn't too long?

WLP's hefe yeasts list what I consider to be oddly high optimum temps for fermenting hefeweizens. I usually hold them at 62 and let them rise to 65ish, higher than that and they start to get too banana/bubblegummy.

Expires in November? That's some pretty old yeast (I think it expires 6 months after manufacture). Using a 4 month age in the mrmalty calculator, it suggests *10* vials. That's assuming it's been stored and shipped refrigerated.

It should take off... eventually.

WLP's hefe yeasts list what I consider to be oddly high optimum temps for fermenting hefeweizens. I usually hold them at 62 and let them rise to 65ish, higher than that and they start to get too banana/bubblegummy.

Yeah, like I said I've had HUGE success with this yeast at 62...I'm assuming you used starters when pitching/fermenting at 62? I think my issue is that my 62 degree ferment worked great when I used a starter...but this time I didn't and the 62 is perhaps too low for sleeping yeast.

Unfortunately, as of this morning (85 hours after pitching) I've got NOTHING going on, even after raising the temp to 71 for the last 24 hours. Looks like I might be pitching some dry yeast when I get home tonight.

Just thought I'd follow up as to what I ended up doing. I waited almost 96 hours and had NOTHING going on. So I ended up rehydrating a package of Safbrew WB-06 and pitching that, and I've now got a very nice, vigorous fermentation going on. No idea how the flavor profile will change...but...it'll now be beer, right?

Thanks to all for your help....

Latest posts

Back