Copper Perforated False Bottom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony_Lopez

Reaction score
So I have some copper sheeting kicking around my machine shop, and I was wondering if there is any reason I couldn't make a false bottom for my MLT out of it. I would have to make the hole pattern myself, but its far cheeper than buying a pre-fab false bottom.

Any thoughts?

I'm not so sure it would be cheaper. If you add up the time it would take to cut and drill the copper, plus the continued cleaning of patina off of it it would probably make more sense to sell the copper for scrap and buy the stainless FB. Unless the sheet is really thick, it's probably too soft to hold the weight of a mash anyway.

No reason I can think of not to use it. Half the fun of brewing is making your own equipment. At least for me it was.

I'd say go for it.:mug:

well, the sheet is free... when you talk about cleaning the "patina" off of it, what do you mean? I thought we wanted the copper to oxidize.

NoClueBrewMaster said:
So I have some copper sheeting kicking around my machine shop, and I was wondering if there is any reason I couldn't make a false bottom for my MLT out of it. I would have to make the hole pattern myself, but its far cheeper than buying a pre-fab false bottom.

Any thoughts?

If your MLT is a plastic cooler I don't see a problem. If you have an ss or aluminum MLT you will have to remove the bottom and store it separately--copper can corrode if left in constant contact with a dissimilar metal.

NoClueBrewMaster said:
well, the sheet is free... when you talk about cleaning the "patina" off of it, what do you mean? I thought we wanted the copper to oxidize.

Ingesting cupric oxide (black oxide) can lead to central nervous system depression, liver and kidney damage, gastro-intestinal damage, circulatory system failure or damage to the vascular system.

cupric carbonate (the blue green stuff, verdigris) has been used in some types of make-up, like lipstick, although it can also be poisonous to humans.

So, NO, you don't want to oxidize copper. Stainless and Aluminum, sure.

I mean the copper will form that green coating and you don't want that to touch your wort. It's free in that you have it, but it has a scrap value that might cover the cost of some perforated stainless which is more appropriate. PAbrewer is right about the galvanic reaction too but I haven't had any problems with my copper parts in the keg... so far.

Desperation and insanity perhaps? I don't know ;-) You have a point though. As long as you clean it off and keep it dry between sessions, you'll be fine. I still wouldn't want to be drililng all those holes though.

People who have copper manifolds & chillers take great pains to clean them before use. Copper oxides do not taste good.

I think you would have big trouble cleaning the holes.

david_42 said:
People who have copper manifolds & chillers take great pains to clean them before use. Copper oxides do not taste good.

I don't take any great pains to clean my chiller before use. I hose it off and put it in boiling wort. That's it. Yes, there is some oxide on the copper before use, and yes, it does come out of the wort cleaner than when it went in (meaning some of that oxide got in the beer).

However, I've never had a problem taste-wise. Copper has been a component of plumbing and brewing systems for many years, and I'm willing to accept any risk associated with its use.

I would guess that with proper support, the copper sheet should work just fine as a false bottom. Lots of people have copper in contact with stainless at multiple points in their home breweries (Keggle dip tubes, for example), with few galvanic corrosion problems. The intermittent use mitigates a lot of the galvanic corrosion issues. If those same parts were in constant use, then there would be a lot more potential for problems.

Is this a keg MLT or a cooler MLT?

I think that you would be just fine using the copper. As for cleaning it. You should be cleaning it before every use anyway. I have a lot of copper in my system, and I will be honest. I like being lazy. So cleaning has to be simple or I will not do it. A little star san goes a long way. It really is no different for stainless guys. If you don't want to use star san, then water and vinegar will do the job in minutes. Besides I think a false bottom out of copper would look awesome and if you gave it some dome, supporting your grain weight would be no problem. For all of you nay sayers out there, there are plenty of breweries that use cast iron mash tuns and boil kettles in europe. Most would agree that copper is better than straight up iron. I would also bet that most people would give a dozen reasons why another material is better. If you can make good beer with a copper bottom, and you like it, then why not? That is my two cents.

david_42 said:

why would the holes on a copper manifold be easer to clean then a flat false bottom?

Latest posts

Back