Are there any hops you actually dislike?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya know... I love Chinook! But I hear its a love /hate thing. I use Chinook for flavor and aroma in smaller amounts (say like 1/2 oz ) and in dry hop in 1/2 oz increments and I love what it brings to an ale or IPA. It's strong... So, maybe just back off a bit...

I agree, I think I will try these again, just in 1/2 oz. doses. looking at my notes, i used it in a past beer, and didnt have an issue with them.

I'm a big fan of Chinook as well.

As far as dislikes, I'm not a fan of Fuggles (too...savory, I guess?) or anything that gives that onion flavor (Summit, or Citra if used wrong).

Sorachi Ace is a bit overpowering for me in a green beer. I don't mind it, but it needs some time to mellow.

Summit= Sweaty hippie armpit or unwashed goat testicles. Take your pick.
Is ... the hippie armpit attached to a girl? Maybe? No? Okay. :(

Summit: I'll agree with the onion / chive / garlic hate. Was one of the first hops I was able to peg as being not for me.

Moteuka: Soapy. Dirty. Dank.

EKG as a dry hop: Sickly sweet, almost like sour milk. Otherwise, I'm a huge fan of classic UK hops. Just brewed KingBrianI's "Common Room ESB" with EKG and Fuggles, and I'm looking forward to it.

Citra: As a bittering hop, there is some kind of dank, cat-pissy overtone to it, though I'm quite fond of it as a flavor/aroma hop.

I recently learned I don't like East Kent Goldings as a late addition hop. Not sure if its the aroma or the flavor it imparts that I dislike more, but I don't find it pleasant.

nugget, galena, chinook, and centennial are my least favorite, maybe in that order. I really like at least one commercial beer bittered with nugget though, so I know it can be used appropriately.

Maybe I haven't the olfactory or taste bud sensitivities that some here may have but I don't really dislike any I've smelled/tasted. One exception: any hop used too much and makes the beer too bitter. -gasp- Yeah, I know, some rave about IPA's, DIPA's, hop monsters, etc. To me they are just bitter.

Cheers!

Sure, Northern Brewer when used by itself in large amounts is very woody. I once had an IPA made with all Spalt and it was not pleasant in the least.

In my humble brewing career I've never bump into hops I dislike (as far as they are not rotten).

I brewed a smash a few weeks back with optic malt and riwaka hops . Not quite sure if it's the hops or malt but it has a danky flavor to it , I'm starting to get used to it but it's not my favorite brew. Any experience with this malt hop combo ???

Centennial hops for me. It give every beer a a flowery spicy taste and seems to give the beer extra body for some reason. I've brewed a couple different IPA and IIPAs with it alone and mixed with other hops and I just can't enjoy them.

I brewed a smash a few weeks back with optic malt and riwaka hops . Not quite sure if it's the hops or malt but it has a danky flavor to it , I'm starting to get used to it but it's not my favorite brew. Any experience with this malt hop combo ???

No experience with either of those, but there are a few types of hops that give a "dank" character. Columbus is usually the big one that people associate with it.

Amarillo. I made a SMaSH with some a few months ago and didnt like the strong taste of oranges. I made a bitter using bramling cross which has a strong blackcurrant flavour I didn't like at first but it's mellowing out a lot. It's best to blend hops to get a ballanced, rounded flavour. I like northdown and EKG or progress and WGV.

Simcoe. Used properly with other hops they're great. But I had an all Simcoe IPA recently and it was awful!

Recently Summit. I used to kind of like New Belgium Rampant, but nowadays it is so Summit-y that I can barely drink it. Not sure if the beer changed or my palate.

Had westbrook one claw recently. I assume they use summit because it was brimming with onion, socks and b.o.

I had to repackage some of my recent hop order and my batch of Warrior had a distinct garlic/onion type smell. Hopefully it will fade, or maybe I will use sparingly with other hops.

Sorachi Ace. Just made an IPA with simcoe and Sorachi. And the Sorachi over powers the simcoe. And I used simcoe as bittering and Sorachi as aroma. Never again.

Mosaic...can't stand it, and I can pick it out of any beer it's in from a mile away.

I am a new brewer, I think that if the people that post in this poll could some how rate their brewing experience it would be helpful. It is obvious quite a few here have 100s of brews that they have done with different styles. Cheers and thanks for your insights.
:)

I am a new brewer, I think that if the people that post in this poll could some how rate their brewing experience it would be helpful. It is obvious quite a few here have 100s of brews that they have done with different styles. Cheers and thanks for your insights.
:)

OK, if it helps...I'm about to brew my 454th batch.

Brewed an IPA last weekend whose recipe called for Target which I had never used before. I usually love smelling the hop bags when they are open but that stuff is just nasty. I got "rotten cheese" out of it... yuck.

Brewed with all Horizon once and wasn't a big fan.

Thats about it. Funny about all the Fuggle hate. There is a small micro up by our lake in Walker, MN that ONLY uses Fuggle. Now I don't mind the hop, but a little variety wouldn't hurt.

Brewed an IPA last weekend whose recipe called for Target which I had never used before. I usually love smelling the hop bags when they are open but that stuff is just nasty. I got "rotten cheese" out of it... yuck.

I've never used Target either, but isn't a cheesy smell a sign of spoiled/oxidized hops?

It is important to note that each hop variety has its own "Storage" life as denoted in Hieronymus' book For The Love of Hops.

Maybe. Got them in about a month ago along with 19 or so pounds of other hops and this is the first time I used the target. Nasty.

Almost Famous Brewing Company

Back